Hallo, Thanks & Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hickbynature, Jan 5, 2007.

1. hickbynature

hickbynature Well-Known Member

Hallo HST Folks!
    I have been lurking here better than two years, and thoroughly enjoy this forum, and the personalities in it. I grew up in the woods, and now live in an apartment complex (giving me a complex too) with DW & DS. We plan to move OUT when we can, but have spent much time here preparing; planning a home with the purpose of living a less expensive, low maintenance, environmentally sound, and independent of big oil/big food/materialistic/sheeple etc. lifestyle. Y’all are my kinda people. Thanks!!!

The question: I want to build wooden water tanks, one to sit atop the fridge, and to drain into another sitting on the counter, (15-20 gallon ish) with a spigot at the lowest spot. Both will be custom made to maximize our space, and will go with us when we leave. I am not sure how to interior waterproof these! Epoxy/fiberglass, food grade plastic liner, or paint/poly-u to seal. Looking for wisdom.
    HBN

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Why wood if you don't mind me asking?

Oh, and welcome home.

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

And why tanks on the fridge?
    You gonna watch Ed Begley when his show comes on?

4. hickbynature

Wood because I don't really have a way/place/equipment/skills to use sheet steel etc. I am open to other material ideas. I can build a wooden box rather simply to fit precisely the available space above the fridge, and on the counter between the nuker and fridge.

Totally over my head on the Ed question. Cable is prohibitively expensive here, & not much comes over the air to the idiot box. ('sides I spend more time here educating the brain)

Thanks for the welcome. Glad y'all are here too.
    HBN

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Id use a cooler instead of a wooden box unless youre going for appearance. They are already waterproof, insulated and have drains where you could attach a hose or piping to connect them

6. hickbynature

Looking into building said tanks of stainless steel. Thought of glass, but that would be HEAVY! Perhaps original idea of food grade bag insude the box would work. Easy, customizable, and not too expensive.
    HBN

7. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

Try a web search for wine tank epoxies. I'm pretty sure that are some products out there that are food grade, and will work for you.

What'cha gonna do with the water?

8. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Good lordy, I figgered it out, he's buldin' a still!!!

9. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

Good one!

I've always believed that when someone won't give an answer to a question (even if the answer is MYOB), I'm entitled to make up one that I like! :stirpot:

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Go buy a used whiskey barrel at a garden supply store. They are ready to go with charred interior. Saw the barrel in half and use only half for the water. Fill the other half with good soil, and raise tomatoes in it. I would like to watch you putting water in a container on top of your fridge. Is this for fire control.