Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-images-of-obama-oprah-and-other-celebrities/

Some parents are expressing their frustration after a Michigan elementary and middle school reportedly removed images of well-known and revered historical figures and replaced them with paintings of author J.K. Rowling, Oprah, Maya Angelou, Walt Disney and President Barack Obama.
Among the individuals who were previously on the wall at South Arbor Charter Academy in Ypsilanti, Michigan? Flag maker Betsy Ross, scientist Albert Einstein, astronauts, Gandhi and Mother Teresa, among other national and international figures.
But now some parents are speaking out against the changes, claiming that the historical figures known for monumental accomplishments have now been replaced by mere “celebrities.”
“This is no longer a hall of heroes,” parent Craig Bergman told conservative commentator Todd Starnes. “Now we have a hall of celebrities.”
Craig Bergman/Todd Starnes

Berman’s fear is that the definition of a hero will be profoundly changed in the eyes of the children who attend the school. Talent, alone, he said doesn’t automatically make someone heroic. Another parent, Todd Holliday, agrees.
“My biggest concern is my kid seeing these murals for the next four years – thinking they represent what a hero is,” he said. “They might be successful business people but they aren’t really heroes.”
South Arbor Charter Academy spokeswoman Jennifer Hoff told Starnes that the paintings were changed out in an effort to highlight “modern-day heroes.”
“Heroes Hall has been a part of the school’s fabric for years. In fact, the old mural had been on the wall for at least 11 years,” Hoff said. “As with all things over time, it was showing its age from the activities of being an active school and needed some repair.”
But Berman said that the old mural was well-balanced, with the new array of photos not necessarily accomplishing the same goal.
“Previously, it was very well-balanced and respected a lot of different thoughts. Instead, it’s become more of a political issue,” he told Starnes. “There’s definitely a certain genre of pictures here.”
Read more about the story here.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Well, Betsy Ross didn't seem appropriate but then it was what someone considered PC at the time. That is what happens in the name of diversity. If you can't dig up the real thing, you have to make the up.
Ypsilanti, if I remember rightly, is within shouting distance of Detroit and has a strong black demographic. And this change is more about making the students feel good about what they are than giving incentive to be better.
The article's authors, with wonderful PC themselves, are pretty silent on the issue.

Well, I suppose, if Betsy Ross, that 1950s figure for little girl aspirations, could be a hero, then Oprah Winfrey can too. Easier than insisting on real values.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
It is all worship of graven images and propaganda, whether it is Betsy Ross or Oprah. Once you start worshiping one, you have to find some way to put all the others down that you think are less worthy. It is better to not start hero worship in the first place. Recognize the achievements, accept the human frailties, ignore the rhetoric.

·
Premium Member
9,012 Posts
Well, Betsy Ross didn't seem appropriate but then it was what someone considered PC at the time. That is what happens in the name of diversity. If you can't dig up the real thing, you have to make the up.
Ypsilanti, if I remember rightly, is within shouting distance of Detroit and has a strong black demographic. And this change is more about making the students feel good about what they are than giving incentive to be better.
The article's authors, with wonderful PC themselves, are pretty silent on the issue.

Well, I suppose, if Betsy Ross, that 1950s figure for little girl aspirations, could be a hero, then Oprah Winfrey can too. Easier than insisting on real values.
Either you or I is confused here? I think Betsy Ross was dead over 100 years by 1950?

Paul

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Either you or I is confused here? I think Betsy Ross was dead over 100 years by 1950?

Paul
Well, you certainly shared your confusion as I don't know what you mean either....... :)

Reactions: trulytricia

·
Premium Member
9,012 Posts
Well, you certainly shared your confusion as I don't know what you mean either....... :)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_Ross

Perhaps you only consider her a lowly seamstress, but she was celebrated quite a bit when I was going through the school system as one of the big names of the founding of our country? Women weren't given much opportunity to shine back then, so probably one of the few they could pick from back then.

Otherwise, why don't you consider her much, and why did you mention the 1950s?

I'm open to revisiting history, but you need to explain your objection to the creator of the American flag being displayed on the wall of heroes?

Paul

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_Ross

Perhaps you only consider her a lowly seamstress, but she was celebrated quite a bit when I was going through the school system as one of the big names of the founding of our country? Women weren't given much opportunity to shine back then, so probably one of the few they could pick from back then.

Otherwise, why don't you consider her much, and why did you mention the 1950s?

I'm open to revisiting history, but you need to explain your objection to the creator of the American flag being displayed on the wall of heroes?

Paul
Since almost everything attributed to her is unproven but if proven does not constitute any heroics on her part, I suspect her inclusion as a revolutionary figure was the creation of a desire for an uncontroversial female icon so females students could have a nifty costume to wear in Revolutionary War pagents.

Abigail Adams was much more heroic and real but not so simple as to be useful.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It bothers me that this is a school and they haven't even correctly defined the word 'hero' for these children.

BTW as long as they are doing a wall of millionaires they should have put Donald Trump up there.

Anyway Harry, Betsie Wetsie was introduced in 1935. But got popular in the 50's,[ I had one] along with television. She was also one of the first popular dolls to be made into a black version. So by that last fact alone she sounds like a good candidate for 'the wall'.

·
Super Moderator
13,680 Posts
The school I went to had its corridors of patriots with figures from the Revolution up through the space program in the mural walls. If an era had a notable event performed or survived under the American Flag , the art department seemed to add it to the mural and the history classes often used the mural corridors as class study tools.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
“My biggest concern is my kid seeing these murals for the next four years – thinking they represent what a hero is,” he said. “They might be successful business people but they aren’t really heroes.”
Are our children really this stupid?

You can hate Oprah, but to simply write her off as merely a "celebrity", is just ridiculous. Obama was the first black President of the U.S. Steve Jobs was a college dropout, who changed the world forever in unprecedented ways.

Heros? Maybe not, but If the point of the wall is to inspire children, to do something greater,why wouldn't these fit the bill?

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Assuming the wall needed to be repainted anyway, what modern day "heros" would we want on that wall?

Just curious.
I doubt that you really want to know what people think but just in case this is not a set up to belittle other posters-

Victoria Soto, Alexandra Scott, many choices among firemen or police, military men of outstanding bravery, mothers and fathers who sacrifice much to raise their children, etc currently.

The problem was to replace a person of selflessness with one materially successful. And Barack Obama? Give me a break. And to eliminate people like George Washington simply because he is not pc for today. He is a perfect example to discuss both fortitude, courage and civic virtue along with the fact that he was a man of his time with the values of his times.

Heros, without debasing the word, are not that common that they can be casually thrown aside for a political agenda.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts