Hairy vetch question:

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dcross, Jan 19, 2007.

1. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone planted it in spring? About when did it bloom? I'm in zone 5, thanks!

Also, how much was seed? The best deal I've found so far is Cooperseeds.com, $2.25/#, ten # minimum. Haven't checked the local feed mill yet though.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I am in zone 7 and all the vetch I have is fall seeded. I really doubt that spring planted vetch would get a decent root system established along with maturing in time to set seed for the next season. Hairy vetch is a fine plant for improving poor land and my cattle seek it out as the first thing that they eat when going onto new pasture. That price per lb. seems expensive as it takes approx. 25 lbs per acre to get a good stand. Then again, nitrogen is not cheap either and the vetch will self seed and return each year for a long term return.

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I am tired and very slap-happy, and I started wondering what sort of guy this Harry Vetch is...

Or, if your vetch is hairy, do you shave it or just give it a comb and some Brylcreem?

If I wasn't so spooked out by all the talk of Trilogy of Terror and scary clowns, I'd go take a nap... ;)

Pony!

4. Lois

Lois Active Member

Pony,
    Harry Vetch should be shaved daily if you want to keep him presentable. Otherwise he looks like a mangy mutt. He's really a pretty nice guy. I've known him for years and he's never given me any trouble, but you can expect the neighbors to talk if you don't see that he shaves EVERY DAY. Lois

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'm in zone 3/4 and hairy vetch seems to improve ditches from erosion. I never thought much about it for a pasture, or wildlife habitat improvment plant aroud woodlot fields, but I'm seriously thinking to get more of it seeded if it's not too expensive.

6. dcross

Agmantoo, thanks for the input, the local co-op can get a 50# bag for $108, cheaper per # but I don't have use for that much seed.

Searching the net all I've found is that it will bloom and set some seed the same year if spring sown. I'm mainly growing it to improve the soil and provide forage for my bees, I think I'll go with a clover-heavy food plot mix this spring, and then vetch and rye this fall. 2.5 acres is more than I want to garden!

I'll leave the hair care conundrum to the bees, as long as they don't sting like they do when they get in my hair, they should get along fine:)

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you want to plant something to benefit the bees try buckwheat this spring. Easy to grow and the bees love it.

8. dcross

I'm picking up 10# of buckwheat seed next time I go for supplies:) Figure I should get two crops of it easy, maybe more.

Also gathered a big bag of sweet clover seed last summer, but that's a biennial, like burdock:)

9. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

But buckwheat honey is so nasty! Well some like it. But even as a honey lover- that stuff goes back to the bees.

10. dcross

I doubt 10# of seed will taint it very much:) Plus from what I've heard they'll work most anything else when they can. And I kinda like it! Wonder how it would be as mead...