Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with my furbabies. Although I love them, the fur is driving me mad :bouncy: :help:

So, first question: Why do my indoor cats shed 24/7, 365? Is there anything I can do about it? Should I change their diet? They get Iams right now.

Second question - does anyone own a hairless cat and could/would you share your knowledge with me on them?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have friends with Sphynx kitties and while they're very cool, they do need maintenance- they get cold, they need skincare, and they're kinda sensitive overall. If I wanted a cat that shed minimally, I'd actually look at the Cornish and Devon Rex breeds- they're known for being less allergenic.

I think you mihgt see a HUGE decrease in shedding by switching to a really high quality diet- I know my parents' cat (who now gets prepared raw- Nature's Variety) sheds almost not at all now.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Diet can help quite a bit... I'd start there, certainly. A daily brushing can really help gather up some of the excess, too.

Sphynxs, we-ll... they're friendly kitties, but they do need special care. They seem to be more expensive than other pedigreed kitties, I know a girlfriend of mine has been looking for her third and was THRILLED to find a nonregistered kitten for a thousand.

I adore my bengals, they hardly shed at all unless stressed or hot, but they aren't exactly couch potatoes... very active, vocal, curious little cats; owning one (in my case, six) is like having a toddler running around. They're wonderful, but certainly not for everyone.

I can't speak as to the temperament of the rexes, just haven't met many.

Please remember, though, any animal is likely to have something inconvenient about it, so I wouldn't go getting rid of my current pets to find one supposedly less inconvenient. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jen74145 said:
Please remember, though, any animal is likely to have something inconvenient about it, so I wouldn't go getting rid of my current pets to find one supposedly less inconvenient. ;)
Oh, i know that. I've had my furbabies for over 7 years now. I wouldn't just dump them and get something else. Just a general question on if there are other cat breeds that do not shed quite so much. I have a purebred Siamese Lynx Point little girl (7 lbs if that) and a Siamese mix (all whitish orange with Flame-type points - he was a stray as a baby and he is HUGE. Totally has some big Tabby in him somewhere. He's not fat, just BIG! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Corgitails said:
I think you mihgt see a HUGE decrease in shedding by switching to a really high quality diet- I know my parents' cat (who now gets prepared raw- Nature's Variety) sheds almost not at all now.
I will likely do this soon.

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
Autumngrey said:
All that hair and they don't really shed? Are you pulling my leg??? :dance:

"The Ragdolls fur is rabbit-like, medium long with LITTLE shedding. Remember, all animals, including humans do shed their fur, so expect some shedding in the spring and fall. What is nice about the Ragdoll fur is that it is very easy to pick up. It is so soft that it just sits on top of the surface instead of working it’s way into fabric and is therefore easy to pick up. Just a damp hand, or rag will lift most hair off your clothes. The RAGDOLL requires little or no routine grooming. During shedding season, be sure to watch for some tangles under the armpits in some Ragdolls. All pointed RAGDOLLS have beautiful blue eyes. "
http://www.rfci.org/info/description.php

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Corgitails said:
I have friends with Sphynx kitties and while they're very cool, they do need maintenance- they get cold, they need skincare, and they're kinda sensitive overall. If I wanted a cat that shed minimally, I'd actually look at the Cornish and Devon Rex breeds- they're known for being less allergenic.

I feed that to my elderly MinPins and they do great on it! They get the frozen raw but I also give them some kibble too. For emergencies or traveling, I get the freeze dried rehydrated.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I wouldn't feed Iams to any of my pets. Any food you find in a grocery store is a poor quality feed. Go to a pet store and start reading labels.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maura said:
I wouldn't feed Iams to any of my pets. Any food you find in a grocery store is a poor quality feed. Go to a pet store and start reading labels.

Yes, I know it's horrible stuff.! horrible............ :(

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
This is a Ragdoll I used to own. His eyes look yellow in the pic, but thats a reflection of the flash. They are actualy Blue, which is also his name He weighed about 18 lbs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts