Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 goats that are both having skin & hair problems--although both look somewhat different. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening.

Alpine doe (with twins 6 weeks--they look great). Her hair looks frizzed or singed--coarse,almost curling backwards; black has red in in/white looks almost yellow orange. Has a lot of white flakes and "crud" on skin--looks dirty. Talking to mineral manufacturer (sweetlix) re copper and she appears to be consuming recommended amount. She was wormed around kidding with panacur and dectomax. Fed hay, grain, browse.

Boer whether. Losing hair on legs this spring and not shedding out well/with some oozing sores. Per vet gave LA 200, dexamethasone and tylan--called it staff. Meds helped legs, but not completely. Still has lots of spotty crusty areas all over and skin looks dirty--lots of brown flakey stuff/dander. Orally wormed with ivomec, same mineral, and on browse.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here. I do not see any bugs on skin or attached to hair. Should I treat for lice, mites, mange? Or does it sound like a feed/mineral deficiency. Neither look really anemic, may be a little thinner than usual.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
We had a doe whose coat sounded similar to your Alpine's. She tested "wormy" and after we de-wormed with Cydectin, it took a couple weeks with added fats (BOSS) and vitamin E , but her coat recovered shine and the "dandruff" went away.
The color issue does sound like it could be copper related, though. We copper bolus ours because we are in a low copper area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't you think the vet would have . . . ******

Do you follow the label weight/dosage as listed for cattle?

What brand do you use. Or any you recommend.

How about the 6-week old kids--can they be treated the same way?

Thanks, thanks, thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
We use Cylence. We ordered it. I believe there are other brands on the shelf if you need it sooner. It suggested 4 cc for an adult cow so we used 3 cc because we have 3cc syringes and I didn't think 4 cc was needed for a goat. I would not have a problem using it on 6 wks old kids but much younger than that, I wouldn't. I only use 1-2 cc on kids. BTW, I have a black goat that turns a reddish on the hair ends in the summer. I chalk it up to sunbleaching. If they have lice, they'll rub on the fences, giving that broken-end, fuzzy hair look. It is no doubt lice. Copper deficiency doesn't add color to the white, it just takes all color out and makes all hair white so I don't think that is what is causing your problems. Lice got way out of hand last winter, for us, so we had a doe and our buck, both with crusty scabby sores down legs and they were getting thin and just looked terrible. Their hair was really rough looking. I think the sores are self-inflicted from so much digging with their teeth. We'll be treating the herd around November for lice and then repeating 3 wks later and will probably do this again in early spring. It helps so much!! I hope this helped you more.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I have one boer doe with what you described on the legs. She gets it every year. We call it the leg scunge.We called the lady we got her from and she said her dam gets the same thing. Out of her kids about 50% have shown up with it. We dip her legs in Iodine and it gets rid of it every time. I have used a squirt bottle,a paint brush but the best is if you can dip the whole leg.She is being culled this year!

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
I would do this:

Worm with Cydectin and again in 10 days.

Copper bolus as they red tinge and coarse coat is a sign of copper deficiency and this allows for other problems to occur as it lowers immunity.

Keep the wether diagnosed with staph AWAY from other goats and in isolation and treat for staph as well as worm him and bolus him.

Take a scrapping of the does skin to the vet for analysis, it could be staph too or paracites.

Cydectin kills external as well as internal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts