Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new here and new to sheep so looking for advice. I have a 5 year old St Croix hair sheep who lambed (ewe twins) about 4 weeks ago. I sit with them every evening and give carrots to momma and socialize the babies (momma was never handled and doesn't like or trust people). Last night I noticed that she had lose hair on her body and I can pinch off large amounts. My daughter was combing the hair with her fingers to show me how much was falling out, and then she did a gentle tug at some of the wool on her back and a clump came out, exposing skin beneath. We stopped petting her so I don't know how much more would have fallen out.

She doesn't seem itchy or irritated. I didn't see any obvious mites or lice. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and our daffodils are about to bloom. We haven't had a night time frost in over a month and daytime highs are around 50F and lows are 45F with lots of rain. I have one other sheep- a 2 year old St Croix (unrelated) due any day. Her hair was also shedding last night, but not as badly.

Is this "normal" seasonal shedding, or wool slip or something else I should be concerned about? Both sheep seem very healthy- good poo's, good condition, clear eyes, fed high quality alfalfa, pasture, sheep minerals and salt. She birthed very easily in the pasture (in a wind/rain storm behind a tree in the dark!) and there has been drama with me bringing her babies in at night for predator protection (so life isn't stress free for her)

Any suggestions appreciated!!

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,723 Posts
As long as she appears to otherwise be healthy I wouldn't worry about it too much.

there has been drama with me bringing her babies in at night for predator protection (so life isn't stress free for her)
You aren't separating them at night are you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, I wasn't clear with that. At night, I often have to carry the babies into the barn while momma runs behind angrily. They are in a stall together at night. My other ewe goes into the barn at feeding time with no issues. Its just this particular ewe- she'd rather sleep outside all night, but right now I only have a 3 string hot fence and no LGD.

·
77,723 Posts
It's good she gets upset.
It shows she cares ;)
You might try some Vitamin E supplements to help with skin/hair issues but it doesn't sound too serious to me.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
If the hair is coming out that easily right down to the hide, there is an underlying issue. Particularly, if it is somewhere they can't rub it raw on their own. If it is lice or mites, it will spread where it is coming out and the skin/hide will be a pink hue underneath. Ivermectin injection will clear it up. If not, it may be a nutrition issue. I would bet on the former, rather than the latter....not having observed the subject first hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to try attaching a picture. Had a closer look tonight and there is some longer hair in the bald patch which is still firmly attached. Her skin doesn't look inflamed (looks to be the same color as her hairless udder). I didn't see any mites, but that doesn't mean they're not there.

I really appreciate everyone's comments!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
That looks like she rubbed it fairly raw herself before the hair came out. You'll know in the next couple of days. If you have had one get mites/lice, it is like a horror movie. We had a lamb that had literally everything one right after the other. I named it Rerun. He had (can't remember the order): E. Coli scours, coccidiosis, barber pole worms, pink eye and the finale of mites/lice. You have no idea how happy I was when we got him healthy enough to ship off. The problem was he was rejected a few weeks after birth by his dam(though I know why now), so my kids got quite attached after bottle feeding him. It was a double loss for me, monetary and emotional.

·
77,723 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all! I'm new here and new to sheep so looking for advice. I have a 5 year old St Croix hair sheep who lambed (ewe twins) about 4 weeks ago. I sit with them every evening and give carrots to momma and socialize the babies (momma was never handled and doesn't like or trust people). Last night I noticed that she had lose hair on her body and I can pinch off large amounts. My daughter was combing the hair with her fingers to show me how much was falling out, and then she did a gentle tug at some of the wool on her back and a clump came out, exposing skin beneath. We stopped petting her so I don't know how much more would have fallen out.

She doesn't seem itchy or irritated. I didn't see any obvious mites or lice. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and our daffodils are about to bloom. We haven't had a night time frost in over a month and daytime highs are around 50F and lows are 45F with lots of rain. I have one other sheep- a 2 year old St Croix (unrelated) due any day. Her hair was also shedding last night, but not as badly.

Is this "normal" seasonal shedding, or wool slip or something else I should be concerned about? Both sheep seem very healthy- good poo's, good condition, clear eyes, fed high quality alfalfa, pasture, sheep minerals and salt. She birthed very easily in the pasture (in a wind/rain storm behind a tree in the dark!) and there has been drama with me bringing her babies in at night for predator protection (so life isn't stress free for her)

Any suggestions appreciated!!
Hi! I am new here as well. We had a Katahdin ewe break her fleece after lambing. Stress will cause it but it should come back. Cold weather, lambing, any changes etc... We have come to find out that sheep don' t like change. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts