Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some hair sheep to start my mini herd. I have a small pasture that would be good for about 5-6 sheep. I want to use for meat for my use and some sells. I've never had sheep before so I don't know where to go. I hope to find a trust worthy and knowlegable source. I'm in Rockingham County which is a northern border county mid NC.

Any recommendations?

Carol M

·
Registered
4 Posts
designer said:
I'm looking to get some hair sheep to start my mini herd. I have a small pasture that would be good for about 5-6 sheep. I want to use for meat for my use and some sells. I've never had sheep before so I don't know where to go. I hope to find a trust worthy and knowlegable source. I'm in Rockingham County which is a northern border county mid NC.

Any recommendations?

Carol M
We are in NC near Aberdeen and have a flock of pure breed registered Finn Sheep. They have beautiful fleeces with a nice crimp and very fine wool!. We should have plenty of lambs pretty soon. The Finns are known for their multiple births. In no time at all will you have a small flock.
We had 5 butchered last year and the meat is great! We also had the pelts tanned and they come out very nice. Please come by and see us.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Designer,

I'm in central Virginia, Buckingham County. We recently aquired at katahdin ewe who is pregnant, believed to be with twins. If she has a ram lamb we were planning on either putting him in the freezer or sell him. If she does and your interested let me know. I know it's a little far, but closer then others. Also if you're interested I can give you a name of a gentleman in our area who has a large flock of Katahdins where Taffy(our ewe) is originally from. Let me know, I'll be on the lookout for breeders in N.C. for you and will post if I find any!

·
Registered
825 Posts
designer said:

Any recommendations?

Carol M
*Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep
(Be informed and ready before you purchase)

*Commercial Blackbelly sheep available near Winston Salem
Check here: http://www.blackbellysheep.org/
(members)

*Check the classified section of the AG Review
http://www.ncagr.com/paffairs/agrevst.htm

I have 5 American Blackbelly (hair) sheep. None for sale.
They are easy care, no dock, no shear.
clcik the www button, the main page has a link to additional sheep pictures.
( I need to update my pics) :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
designer said:

Any recommendations?

Carol M
If you have not found your sheep we are very close by in Moore County and have pure breed Finn sheep. [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts