Hair sheep in northern NC?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by designer, Sep 5, 2004.

1. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get some hair sheep to start my mini herd. I have a small pasture that would be good for about 5-6 sheep. I want to use for meat for my use and some sells. I've never had sheep before so I don't know where to go. I hope to find a trust worthy and knowlegable source. I'm in Rockingham County which is a northern border county mid NC.

Any recommendations?

Carol M

2. kit

kit Well-Known Member

Try going to the U.S. Katahdin sheep website - if I remember correct, they have a list of breeders. I think the website address is www.khsi.org - if that doesn't work, go to www.saskkatahdinsheep.com and under LINKS you can get to the KHSI website. Someone there should be able to help you. Hope that helps you out....

3. Evelyn123

Evelyn123 New Member

We are in NC near Aberdeen and have a flock of pure breed registered Finn Sheep. They have beautiful fleeces with a nice crimp and very fine wool!. We should have plenty of lambs pretty soon. The Finns are known for their multiple births. In no time at all will you have a small flock.
    We had 5 butchered last year and the meat is great! We also had the pelts tanned and they come out very nice. Please come by and see us.

4. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Designer,

I'm in central Virginia, Buckingham County. We recently aquired at katahdin ewe who is pregnant, believed to be with twins. If she has a ram lamb we were planning on either putting him in the freezer or sell him. If she does and your interested let me know. I know it's a little far, but closer then others. Also if you're interested I can give you a name of a gentleman in our area who has a large flock of Katahdins where Taffy(our ewe) is originally from. Let me know, I'll be on the lookout for breeders in N.C. for you and will post if I find any!

5. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

6. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

*Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep
    (Be informed and ready before you purchase)

*Commercial Blackbelly sheep available near Winston Salem
    Check here: http://www.blackbellysheep.org/
    (members)

*Check the classified section of the AG Review
    http://www.ncagr.com/paffairs/agrevst.htm

I have 5 American Blackbelly (hair) sheep. None for sale.
    They are easy care, no dock, no shear.
    clcik the www button, the main page has a link to additional sheep pictures.
    ( I need to update my pics) :)

7. Evelyn123

Evelyn123 New Member

If you have not found your sheep we are very close by in Moore County and have pure breed Finn sheep. WWW.guenthers1@alltel.net