Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by MARSHALL, Jan 21, 2005.

1. MARSHALL

MARSHALL Member

I Have A Steer About 700lbs That Is Loosing Hair On His Left Shoulder. I Put Lice Powder On Two Weeks In A Row. That Did Not Seem To Help So I Got Some Ivomec Eprinex And Put That On Twice And It Does Not Seem To Get Better. The Part That Has Me Really Scrathing My Head Is The Other Four That Are In With Him Dont Seem To Have Any Problem. Any Suggestions?

2. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

ok i experienced something like this with a horse i bought, that had lice when i got it.I followed vet instructions for lice but her hair started falling out in clumps on severall patches, vet came out and said it developed a staph infection from scratching or something like that the vet said, it took 2 courses of injectable ivermect and a apx 10 day course of antibiotic.( the poor old dear almost went bald before it got better) dont know if that helps? call the vet mine is always happy to give advice and sell me the proper meds, if he doesnt think it warrants a visit.

3. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

If the hide is kind of white scally looking where the hair is falling out,
    it is probably ring worm, which is not a real worm but a virus.

Spray texture of iodine on it. You can get it at most feed stores.

If it is ring worm you can catch it too,
    and your other steers can catch also.

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Also you will not see results real fast. They may loose more hair before the new grows in. I would not recommend brushing them out because it is winter. You can keep treating with the powder per label directions. Also remember lice live in hay and the wood in your barn so powder the wood well and change the bedding.

5. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

He may just be rubbing it off, they like barbwire fences and T-posts.