hair loss

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by brian mcf, Dec 31, 2006.

1. brian mcf

brian mcf Well-Known Member

hello,thanks for readig.i noticed some hair missing on a heifer we have.the area where the hair is missing is the right back side of leg on the inside by the hock and the udder, also when looking i found some by the flank.armpit area.the vet was here yesterday,for preg.test.he said it looked to him like a allergic reaction to something.we sprayed iodine on them.i asked if it was mites or lice,he said no.we are today gonna treat them for lice.thankyou for any advice. brian

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Could be mange ?

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

On the inside of the leg, and near the udder I wouldn't be concerned, I have seen this on mine and it is because of their udder rubbing, and it is an area that does rub when they are laying down. However the armpit seems suspect, and treating her for lice or even the mange as upnorth said would be a good idea. If I were you, drench her with some eprinex, if she is a heifer in milk, use ivomectin (doesn't have a hold time). With the drench it will get rid of any parasite, or worms she could have.

Generally if there is any raised scaly areas, roundish thats ringworm, and it sounds like she doesn't have that. Scabies can also be on the rump, it is also called "elphant skin" I beleive, and is on the tailhead. But the armpit sounds like some sort of parasite, being lice or otherwise.

Jeff

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would use an ivermectin product to get rid of the lice and at the same get rid of any other potential hide pests such as mange, should it exist and was overlooked.