Hail vs. Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mamabear, Nov 6, 2004.

1. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

I need some input from greenhouse owners. In our area, especially in the Spring, we usually get hail at least a couple of times and sometimes more each year. How does your greenhouse handle such incidents? I have seen the greenhouses with just plastic stretched over the frames and our hail would go right through that. What do y'all suggest?
    Thanks bunches.
    mamabear

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

We have the same type of weather here, I use corregated(?) clear plastic,(looks like a tin roof) on the roof. In a VERY bad hail storm, even it wouldn't hold up though. I would maybe use plexie(sp) glass on the roof if you get severe storms.

3. txmilkm

txmilkm Member

mamabear,

When we had our greenhouses (3- 20'x48'), they were covered with 2 layers of 8mil greenhouse grade plastic. We had a small blower that inflated the plastic and they weathered many a hail storm here in Central Texas. The inflated plastic bounced the hail off just like it bounces off of a trampoline. The only time it might really be a problem is when you get the "slab ice" type hail that is very jagged.

Hope this helps,
    Txmilkm

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

The plastic on my greenhouse is like a fabric plastic, if that makes sense. In addition, the top of the greenhouse has fairly steep sides --- not rounded or flat, IOW.

Despite having gone through a number of hail storms, it has sustained no damage from hail. Now, I've damaged it by turning around too quickly with sharp things in my hands --- but hail has done no damage whatsoever. I think that's not just because of the nature of the plastic (it is kind of heavily woven) but because the roof is so steep and the hail slides right off instead of cutting into.

5. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Thank y'all so much for the input. It all makes sense and I'll have to give the suggestions a try.
    Have a great weekend.
    mamabear