Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor You've Got PM mail

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Haggis I pm'd you a while back it may have got lost in the shuffle.

Haggis tell me more about your place. Was it clear cut before you bought it? Water supply? Well or City? "Fresh" or mineral , cholorined?
    Utilities? Easy to get or need the whole Scottish Clan to make an impact?
    Soil? Good growing?
    Grass? good for goats, cattle?

We looked at several properties in the upper region but it had been clear cut and would have taken years to recover.

Is there a place similar to yours still available? Would you send me info on the area? healthwizard@surfbest.net

Thanks Haggis
    Kenneth in NC

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

"Haggis tell me more about your place. Was it clear cut before you bought it?"
    No it was not and has not been clear cut.
    Water supply? Well or City? "Fresh" or mineral , cholorined?
    We have a 6" cased well down to 85' at 265 gallon a minute.
    Utilities?
    Just electricity $65 a month
    Easy to get or need the whole Scottish Clan to make an impact?
    We have quite a clan here but Herself and I did it ourselves.
    Soil?
    It is the Canadian Shield.
    Good growing?
    Short zone 3 seasons.
    Grass?
    On the one hand; not since the '60's, and on the other hand mostly wild grasses in the pasture just now.
    good for goats, cattle?
    Our cattle are thriving on it

We looked at several properties in the upper region but it had been clear cut and would have taken years to recover.

Is there a place similar to yours still available?
    There is a lot of vacant land here and much of it is cheap.

Would you send me info on the area?
    I think I just did. But, we live just 8 miles from Virginia, Minnesota, about 40 miles from Ely and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, and about 65 miles north of Duluth.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

3. Kenneth in NC

I guess you read on the other thread where I asked about any EPA or government BS about useage of water. The quote below was made by someone not signed in. Does it have any real life bearing on your area?

I have put my place up for sale and have been looking at several states for a new home. I understand MN gets right cold in winter. How have you fared since moving from Kentucky to MN?? I would think NC's weather is a lot like KY's.

Any help appreciated.

Kenneth

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

That was my quote, Ken. This web site & my other computer do not get along well, so I just let well enough alone....

As I said, I'm in southern MN where land prices just skyrocketed the past 9 months or so.

In Minnesota it is up to each county to enforce such epa things. so, it will probably depend upon the county you live in. The law would be there, depends how much 'your' county wants to bother with it.

The southern ag areas of Minnesota tend to be conservative, the metro area tends to be liberal, and the iron mine regions tend to be a little of each - conservative on personal issues, and liberal on social & employment issues. If I may presume to be very broad in painting a picture.....

Gun control is a non-issue in rural areas, & northern hunting areas. About 1/3 of the state is on vaccation and 'up north' on hunting & fishing openers. Another 1/3 wishes they could be. Metro area is different....

--->Paul

5. Kenneth in NC

hey Paul,

I always thought MN was pretty easy on the gun owners. Although if I move up that way i'll probably need something bigger than my 45LC rifle.

From Haggis post I gather he's up near St Louis County What do you call that area?

We'd like a cooler climate with less humidity. Just a simple place with out big city influence. I think theres abou 4 families here in NC that's raedy to get the heck out of here and see some new country.

My wife reminds me often that the best deals are probably not going to be listed with a realtor. Hence my trying to find out more about Haggis's area.

Any info you can give us is appreciated.

Kenneth

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I don't know anything about EPA stuff; don't ask don't tell seems to be teh rule here abouts.

It do get a mite chilly here in the winter. The worst of it though is the length of the winter; we have snow on the ground 4 or 5 months of the year and sometimes it's as many feet deep. Snowshoes are cheap though.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

7. Kenneth in NC

Hehehe I bet so. We are thinking about 100-200 acres with my wifes brother and his wife and 2 kids coming along. We've discussed getting Geodesic Dome Homes built since there pretty much fool proof once set up. (or so I've read) Plus there easy to heat and cool.

I have an old Dodge 4x4 truck so maybe I could get around as need be up there in the snow. :D If not I could hook up a sled to the Chihuahua's :haha:

Kenneth

8. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We bought one of our parcels through a realtor and one of them privately. Realtor quotes will give one a good idea of where to start looking, but just hoping to find a private deal is the "needle in a haystack" approach.

Here on the Iron Range land is all over the place. While we were looking we found a place priced at $53,000 for 118 acres on a river with an older trailer, a garage, well, and septic all in. Another place was $23,000 for 80 acres with a creek, a nice 600 square foot cabin, a sauna, and a privy. And, Lord knows how many unimproved 40 to 120 acre parcels for $75 to $200 per acre; all of them along state and county roads, and all with good building sites.

But..., we were looking for something not too far from our positions in Virginia, so we took these two places and made them one homestead; just 8 1/2 miles from our classrooms and town.

In retrospect I wish we had taken a place further from town; maybe north of Orr. I'm retired now and the 8 1/2 miles are a mute point; of course Herself might have something to say about that.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

9. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

You'll need a chevy camper for that trip Kenny :p

10. Kenneth in NC

Hey Boxwoods I sent you a pm.
    I was thinking about that :D

Minnesota is sounding better everyday. Cool nights, lot's of snow.

Now a question my 10-yr old has. Does the School buses have 4x4?
    She crosses fingers and hopes Not. :haha: