Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I've been having to adjust my manner of surviving this year, i.e. catching up on what I thought had been done and had not been done as well as finding ways to get done what I no longer can do. It has been a struggle, yet a rewarding struggle.

There are no bees in my processing center anymore. :)

The trailer roof was painted with a white rubbery-type substance good for 5-8 yrs.

The bushhogging was done and my apple trees planted.

The van got a new carborator, new battery and complete tuneup. (Then the driver's side door got to where it would not shut...as has occurred in the past. Yet this time I was told exactly what to do should it occur again; and I've done it. So no need to hunt for a new door. :)

The well pump only needed a wire repaired; and plumber said it "looks like a new pump...you must have extra good water..." :)

Both the tiller and brush mower got a thorough repair and the tiller is sitting at my repair man's store with a for sale sign on it. (He told me he would keep it in good condition, bring it in out of any bad weather, not charge me anything and would accept a percentage of its sales price as his commission. :) ) I have an antomatic battery charger on my mower. :)

The only big worry remaining was how to get the nine (9) goats slaughtered and processed for the freezer. I've never shot a goat and only have a 37 Glock and a 12 gauge Mossburg to do it with; so I asked the local agricultural high school teacher if he wanted to help me get this done in a way that would provide students with "extra credit". He did want to and was making efforts to coordinate it with other ag teachers when he ran up against liability issues where guns and knives were concerned. So he directed me to a local butcher shop.

I contacted the couple who run this shop and this past Sunday they came down to help me with the 5 bucks I had been fattening. He "humanely" shot them with a handgun (22 caliber), bled them out, hung them, gutted them, washed them out and then dumped all the guts into my raised bed that I'm still constructing. They charged me $20 ... yes twenty dollars for all 5 goats. (I offerred to pay more and they would not accept it.) Arrangement has been made for them to return to do the last 4 goats in about 2 weeks...again for only $20 total.)

That Sunday, after this special couple had left, I washed the goats again and then wrapped all 5 bucks in netting so the flies would stay off them until I could get the skinning and cutting done. That same day I was able to get 2 of these goats processed, then today (Monday) I did 2 more. Now I'm completely worn out and my body is saying, "NO MORE TODAY!" So, I left the 5th goat hanging with the netting all around it and will get it done TOMORROW. :) I'm too tired to fix something to eat, and I'm feeling so blessed!!! (Also, the weather both Sunday and today has been dry and very, very cool.)

This incident with the goats reminded me of what happened when I was just starting to build up this little homestead back in 1995. I would purchase rough-cut lumber as I could so as to build the barn and, often when I got home, I would discover I had more lumber than I thought I was getting. Well, the next time I went over to the lumber yard to purchase some lumber, I "counted" the boards as the owner put them into the bed of my pickup. After he had put the last board in, he didn't stop but continued to put boards in. I told him to stop I cannot pay for anymore. He looked at me and said, "Jodie, when someone gives you a little extra, just smile and say thank you." Well, this couple who came and helped me with my goats reminded me of the special man who gave me the lumber.

What I'm learning from living alone this year is that, when something occurs that tests my strengths, I do not need to worry because I have a Heavenly Father looking out for me and He has His people all over the place.....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
How wonderful that you can see the reflection of your goodness in the goodness of those around you. Karma in action, girlfriend. Congratulations. What you've sent out is coming back to you. :)

·
Premium Member
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Horseyrider, the reason all that occurs is so meaningful for me is because I do not see anything good in myself that any good would come my way....thus, it can only be my Heavenly Father seeing me thru the prayers of His Son.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
You need to start seeing good in yourself, it is what the Heavenly Father would want. Seek truth.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
I think our heavenly father is hitting you upside the head to try and get you to see how wonderful and precious you really are....start paying attention. God wants us all to be happy and healthy!

·
Premium Member
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:peep: Woah! I have no idea what to say! :hammer: Gotta do some serious thinking!

This is reminding me of a dream my mother told me she had a few years before she passed away, i.e. She was in church sitting in the audience watching me up front "nervously" singing to the people when a stranger stepped away from the bench, walked up, stood beside me and started singing with me. Mother said I started crying and she woke up.....then told me he was only trying to help me get past my nervousness.....

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
What a beautiful story, motdaugrnds!

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Truly beautiful.

·
Premium Member
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This precious couple did show up right at the time they said they would...again. This time she brought me a large sack of beef bones (with marrow) for my dogs. Each was individually wrapped and ready for the freezer.... :)

As last time, the couple was so pleasant to be with. They've been married over 32 yrs, which tells me a lot; and both were so kind and clean talking. The gentleman made quick work out of "humanely" killing the goats in the slaughtering pen. Then he hung them and gutted them like he did before. Only today, he didn't stop there. He skinned them and cut them up with his "saws all" electric saw (using a demolition blade). I was just about to go get my skinning knive when I saw him pull the skin down the back of a goat in just one yank it actually shocked me. (If only I were strong enough to do that!) It took this kind man just a few minutes to skin and cut up all 3 goats. All I did was hold the large black trash bag for him to put the pieces in. (I could not stop laughing as I felt so good knowing I wouldn't have to spend hours getting all this done. The kindness of this couple just brought so much joy to my heart.)

After this wonderful couple were gone, I started carrying the bags into the house. (At that time I could let my dogs loose as they had been chained at the back door.) The sacks were so heavy and one actually ripped open and some of the meat fell out onto the ground just as I got it to the steps. Both dogs were, of course, quite interested in it; but with a few firm "leave it" and "uh uh" remarks, plus a few "growls" (mine of course), they both left the meat and I was able to carry it into the house piece by piece.

It took several hours for me to clean up the pieces of meat as well as I wanted, cut the shanks off the legs (which I had forgot to ask the kind man to do) and package all for the large freezer in the barn. My poor old bones were screaming and my hip was cussing me out; but I managed to rest off and on during all this. And by late evening it was mostly all done.

All had been packaged except the liver and hearts, which I had cleaned up and placed in a large boiler to cook. As soon as they got 3/4 done, I turned off the burner to let them sit and cool. This is what I will chop up and mix with the "cooked" steamed barley that I'm feeding my dogs. WOW $17 per bag that, when cooked, lasts forever. Mix this with some of the cooked liver/hearts (with juice) and the dogs love it.

All I need do Friday is cart the last of the packaged meats out to the barn's freezer. I'm feeling so blessed...again...as these kind people had no "earthly" reason to help me. They certainly didn't get much money for doing so; and I'm nobody to them. I am so grateful for their generous kindness to me.

Things like this I just have to share.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts