Had the septic pumped today

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

We had the septic tank pumped today. What a job digging in what is called dirt around here. You cannot use a shovel only a mattock or a backhoe if you have one. The pumper said it looked great and must have been pumped a couple of years ago, we've lived here 12 and the previous owner 3 and it's never been pumped. We are septically aware and don't flush just anything, also much gray water is plumbed elsewhere. My other septic for my garage looked "too good to pump" as the pumper guy said, besides his boss wanted full price to pump the 2nd and I tyhought a little discount for being 100' away and not having to drive for it should have been worth something.

For ease of future possible pumping has anyone installed a pipe in the top of the tank to pump through? I was considering a 6" pipe thru the lid with a screw off cap so we don't have to dig again?

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Do people always bury the lids? Seems odd to me but we had to dig for ours. DH didn't rebury it though, he put a cut-down oil drum over it as a temp measure until we get an extender thingy to raise up the lid. I found the extendy thingies but don't recall what they are called - big plastic collar, same size as the current opening, lid would be flush with the ground.

3. BobDFL

BobDFL The High-Tech Ludite Supporter

My last house had a pump-out pipe built onto the septic.

It seems pretty standard with septics here in Central FL. on houses built after 1989 ( the year mine was built ).

The double-wide I'm in now was installed in 1987 and the septic does not have one.

I'm building a new house on the property in the next year and I am making sure it has the pump-out pipe just in case, like you my septics never needed a pump out, and I was at the last one 15 years.

Bob D. in FL.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Never, ever have the pumper guy just pump the tank out of a 4" or 6" pipe! All he'll be removing is the water....he'll leave behind all of the sludge, grit and scum. To do a thorough job of pumping, the pumper guy has to remove the manhole and get the contents of the tank swirling and mixing before he pumps it out. By mixing the tank, all of the sludge, grit and scum is removed. In other words, you're getting screwed if all he does is drops the hose down the inspection pipe or manhole and sucks.

Beeman, you want to do like others have suggested. Build a manhole around that 20-inch lid of your septic tank. They sell ready-made plastic manholes for this purpose. They also sell concrete rings that are about 2" thick...just buy the number you need, depending on the depth of your tank, and stack them on top of each other.

Remember to always have your septic tank pumper mix the contents of the tank before he pumps it out! The only way this can be done effectively is thru the 20-inch septic tank lid!

5. JCW

JCW New Member

they make risers for this purpose.
    they are about 12-18" dia and you bring them to just a few inches below the dirt.
    that way you have little to dig thru and no concrete cover in your lawn.

6. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Our risers come up to about 10 inches above the ground and have removable lids. They look sort of like like concrete mushrooms in the yard.

The goats enjoy playing on them.

Lynda

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've thought about the riser thing as there is no way I'm digging this baby again. The septic pumper guy is like most professionals you hire as I wouldn't have it pumped if I wasn't here to supervise. They did say that when they pump a tank with an extension pipe they backflush it and re-pump it. This didn't sound too cool to me as I figured they would have the solids blowing over the baffle and wouldn't do a good job of getting everything, but it would be easier and quicker for them and the homeowner. They did have a rake and scraped it all and I had my garden hose and washed it all down and they pumped all of that too.

I can't wait to go and try and find an extension like you describe. I'm sure they'll reply, we always just knock a hole in the tank and put a pipe.

8. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

We put a pipe into ours and capped it and then put a piece of pink board over it. On top of that we placed a large flat rock. The rock protects the pipe top and marks the spot. The irony is I did that when we moved here 16(?) years ago and we got it pumped then. Haven't gotten it pumped since.

9. brownegg

brownegg Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow,

You people are really lucky to be able to pump when you feel its necessary to do so!

Here in Wi, they send you a notice every 3 years with a manditory pump notice along with a 6.00 fee, that a licensed pumper mails in for you.

Even farmers with the equipment to handle the job need to pay the pumper guy and the Gov!

When it comes to fees, the Badger State doesn't overlook anything!

10. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Just me and hubby using the tank, so not that much going in. Also, only the toilets and kitchen sink are hooked up to it, all the rest is run as greywater. House is a 3 bed/ 2 bath, so I'm assuming the tank is big enough for a family of 4. Does this mean I'll rarely have to pump it? Also, would I reduce the need to have it pumped if we burned or composted the toilet paper we use, instead of flushing it?

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Pumping every 3 years sounds a bit much. How much to pump a tank in your area. they charge $135 around here and more if they dig or if they drive furthur.

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I believe that the State of Wisconsin doesn't actually require homeowners to have their tanks pumped every three years. What I understnad is that the State requires the homeowner to have the tank "inspected" every three years and if the inspection shows that the tank needs pumping that it gets pumped.

13. scorpian5

scorpian5 Well-Known Member

We live in Wisconsin and have never received a notice or had our tank inspected. We do have it pumped every 3 to 10 years . our septic system has two fields that we switch every 6 months. Also make sure you have a lid on you tank that can be secured with chains and a lock. I Think the lock IS reguired in wisconsin.

14. bare

bare Head Muderator

I must be doing something wrong. Haven't pumped mine since I installed it 26 years ago. The hole for the tank sat open over a winter before I got a tank dropped in and since I didn't have my water lines insulated yet I just let my gravity system run into the hole 24/7. With a two inch line of water going in, it never even made a puddle so I just made my leach field 40' long,

15. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Farmergirl: Rule of thumb is to never put anything solid in a septic tank which hasn't been processed through a human body.

I've known people with a kitchen sink garbage disposal who ground up chicken bones, egg shells and coffee grounds saying 'it helps clean the disposal'. All they are going is pumping solids into the septic tank.

On toilet paper there are septic tank friendly and unfriendly brands. Find something like a glass pickle jar. Fill about half full and put in a handful for the brand you use. Shake vigorously for a couple of seconds and let settle. If the toilet paper didn't essentially dissolve it isn't likely to in your tank either. Cigarette filter butts, disposable diapers, facial tissues, condoms and womens sanitary napkins, etc. are BIG no-nos also.

Just put a flapper lid waste paper basket alongside the commodes and then put used toilet paper in it. When full add to household trash or compost pile.

16. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Want to bet the pumpers were the ones who got that law put through?!? There is no need to pump every septic system every three years. It all depends on how you treat it, how big it is and how many people use it.

17. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I had the guy who pumped mine install a riser while he was at it. he charged $150 (just for installing the riser, not digging and pumping).

18. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The only thing that needs to go into A septic is the Toliet, And that should let the tank be O K for at least 5 years or more, And toilet paper is called toilet paper because its ment to GO into the toilet.. Its just NASTY to put it in the trash can..

19. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I've lived here 14 years now (had to stop and figure that up) I've never had the septic pumped. I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I flush expired milk down the toilet every now and then. A long time ago a septic man told me not to use Charmin TP with a septic system.

20. MeanDean

MeanDean that geeky admin guy

It's done for aesthetic value ...

My lid is buried under mulch ... not too hard to uncover the ugly truth with about 3 mintues of raking ...