Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to the river caught two very Big Buffalo_One was so Big he didn't have to put up a fight,just roll around,couldn't hardly get him up on the bank.

Fried some up for supper sure were good.

Caught a couple small Carp going to use them for Catfish bait.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
15,785 Posts
Were those bigmouth buffalo? What did you use for bait?

I've got some as big as 30 pounds in one of my ponds. I got them to produce little buffalo to feed my predator fish. When I catch them in the seine while catching other fish I lift them very fast and release them on the other side before they go nuts. I tried holding one for a picture and it thumped me so hard on the chest it almost knocked my glasses off. Neat fish!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a Dough Bait made with a stiff Mush little Molassess mixed in.

Tell you they are very good eating,just got to watch the bones.Wish I had caught more of them.

big rockpile

·
Registered
823 Posts
I thought I was the only one that ate Buffalo!
Try it barbecued sometime, the flesh will stand up to it better than any fish I know of.

galump

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
have had it smoked before was pretty good but brp you are right about the bones!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
galump said:
I thought I was the only one that ate Buffalo!
Try it barbecued sometime, the flesh will stand up to it better than any fish I know of.

galump
My FIL calls them Carp,they are way better than Carp.Even though I will eat Carp.

big rockpile

R

·
0 Posts
Somebody throwed away a whole bunch of good eating by my house the other day. Went walking over the small creek bridge nearby my house and seen about 20 dead Buffalo's, Carps, and Drums that someone had gigged out of the nearby lake. Instead of eating or taking them to someone who eats them (me) they just threw them out to waste.

If your not going to eat them, find someone who will!

·
Registered
823 Posts
r.h. in okla. said:
Somebody throwed away a whole bunch of good eating by my house the other day. Went walking over the small creek bridge nearby my house and seen about 20 dead Buffalo's, Carps, and Drums that someone had gigged out of the nearby lake. Instead of eating or taking them to someone who eats them (me) they just threw them out to waste.

If your not going to eat them, find someone who will!
Went to the river last night. Followed a horrible smell to a pile of drum that someone had thrown up on the bank to rot. Some big as 6/7 pounds.
I can't stand to see animals, even fish, killed just for the sake of killing. Ruins things for all of us who hunt and fish ethicaly.

galump

p.s. Caught only a few fiddler cats and small drum. The river is low and stagnant because they aren't generating a lot due to the drought.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I love Buffalo!
I grew up along a river and would help net fish as a boy in a river john with big long hoop nets. These we would sell to the fish market.
We always score our Buffalo to remove the bulk of the bones.

Man now I have a hankerin for Buffalo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts