Had some excitement last night....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by mpillow, Nov 23, 2006.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I was warm and cozy and catching a few zzz's before the turkey timer was due to go off at 1am. Enjoying not having to listen to DH snore as he is away at hunting camp.

Well at 11pm my Border Collie goes nuts....she is left out 24/7 w/ access to the barn. I've never heard her this rip roaring mad.

My son yells "Dog in the yard".
    I go to the front door and there smiling at me is an Alaskan husky...w/ attached leash and collar. My dog is furious. I cracked the door and the dog gives my hand a sniff---non aggressive....

I get dressed in a flash, boy gets BB gun, and out we go....husky is in the pasture chasing our 6m old bull calf....the goats are freaking out....all HeII has broken loose! :help: SoI drive th car down to the barn honking and putting light into barn and pasture w/ car headlights (no power at barn)

My son who is either brave or stupid :rolleyes: at age 12 opens the inside door and sends the goats up to hay storage area where I am...shoots the dog (unharmed/un phased) then notices the calf is down----CRAP!----so he hollered at the dog (it stopped) he went over to the down calf and petted him under the chin and spoke to him, caught the dog and we kenneled it and brought our BC in for the night.
    Found a dead chicken this morning....called animal control officer to get the dog....there was no sense in getting him out of bed last night. I have a goat that was limping before and its worse now but we will see what happens.
    ACO says if dog is claimed the chicken will be paid for.....but for now the pigs are having chicken for Thanksgiving brunch.

So I am thankful to a boy who showed quite a bit of courage under pressure and also thankful that the dog was not vicious toward people and that the calf is not a big bully. And to our dog who tends to make me wonder if she is ADHD----she likes to be busy :hobbyhors

Now I need to get going on the squash and potatoes...

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Glad for you and son that all ended okay for you....

And at least the stray dog had gotten off from where someone was trying to control their dog and not just running lose.

Hope everything is okay and you have a good day -

Happy Thanksgiving.

Angie

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Wow! Sounds like ALL three of you did a great job! Way to go! sis

4. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Ahhh, it looks to me like you saw in your son last night an inkling of the man he is to become! Kudos to you and your dh for raising such a fine and level headed young man. I thank you, as the world needs more fine folks that think on their feel like y'all.
    God bless you and yours
    Deb

5. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Good job! Sounds to me like DS should get a .22 for Christmas :) Then you won't have to bother animal control at all.

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

What a way to wake up!

I hope your goat and calf will be ok.

7. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

I say brave! Good boy you have there.

Ditto the .22 for Christmas. There may be a time the/a dog will be vicious and he'll need adequate "tools".
    HF

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We do have a .22 but its a single shot.....and since the dog acted friendly and had obviously gotten loose w/ leash still attached I really didnt want to "kill"...we did have Thompson .410 ready as well. Which my husband probably would have used first thing but...I'm a softy for dogs being family and this one was just having fun---the chicken had no blood---nor did it bark or growl at any point. :shrug: I hope his owner is responsible and steps up because like I said he could be in doggie heaven if I was inconsiderate or the dog got mean. However if he comes to visit again....I'm not sure I'll be so forgiving.

The chicken was a surplus buff o roo that had a "camp" date for Dec2.

9. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm very impressed on how your DS acted. 2 of my 4 kids are very level headed too. But I have a stupid question for you? How do you get a boarder collie in China? Did you take him with you?

Caren

10. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

hehehehe I never get tired of people wondering where in CHINA she lives!!!!

http://china.govoffice.com/

Rachel