Had goat tested...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cheryl in SD, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Paige was still really skinny, we had given her Nutridrench and Probios, she had good feed and lots of it, water and mineral but seemed to be getting thinner!

(Paige is 3, milking, just got her, don't know where from, neighbor showed up with her one night.)

My neighbor has equipment to test for lots of different substances and toxins in the body with hair samples, so we tested Paige. This goat has tons of molds, pesticides, and chemicals in her. We are working on that homeopathically.

Now my question...

The kids and I are drinking the milk. We have had no bad reactions, and seem to be fine after 2 weeks. What do you all think?

Cheryl

2. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Until I knew exactly what types of molds, pesticides, and chemicals I wouldn't drink the milk. Perhaps some of this is normal, but without researching it I wouldn't take the chance. JMO
    I'd start doing some research, and it looks like you have a good start by posting to this forum. Can your neighbor guide you? And are these abnormal results based on his/her past experiences? What kinds of chemicals & pesticides? Absolute minimum-I'd re-test in a month to see if there's an improvment on the results.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I am really not trying to be mean, but how about doing something tangible. Have her fecal sampled for worms or cocci, or worm her and put her on 5 days of cocci treatments. How about improving the quality of her hay? How about a blood test for selenium levels in your doe, or improving her minerals. Trim her feet, shave off all that ikcy winter hair and make sure she doesn't have parasites. Test her for CAE. Tests that would tell you something that could improve her life, and the overall health of your herd. Vicki

4. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

I echo what Vicki says. If we all were tested, we all would have the same levels as your goat I bet!
    CAE and fecals should be your first round. Examine your feed regimen.
    And let us know what's up! Good luck to you!

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Not to be mean, but I agree with the last two posts. I have seen goats that were wormed with "homeopathic remedies" and treated for illness that way. They were the worst looking bunch of critters I have ever seen.
    Make sure and do not use CoRid for Cocci treatment unless you also give thiamin with it.

I would give that doe the following....worm with a white wormer like safegaurd one time every five days for 15 days. Five days after that, hit her with ivomec or cydectin. Ivomec is 1cc/50 orally and cydectin is 1cc/20# orally. Repeat in 21 days. These will get rid of external parasites also.
    Make some revive;
    100cc of 50% dextrose
    15cc of B complex
    1000mg of thiamin (2cc of 500mg/ml or 5 cc of 200mg/ml or 1cc of 1000mg/ml)
    2cc of B12. Mix in a jar and store in a dark place. Mix with water 50/50 to use. Give 30cc of revive and 30cc of water orally. You need to get some calf pac in her too. (a probiotic that I prefer to probios. It has 5 micro-organisms instead of 3) Cee Sales 1800-851-3170. You don't have to refridge it, you can leave it in the pickup, barn, whatever.
    www.geocities.com/buckshotboers2003

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have to agree with the others. I also would add, that I'd dry her up. If she's that skinny, not gaining weight even on good feed, goodness, why take from her? Dry her up, and let her put the feed into getting into condition. Especially since you don't know where she came from, and what is in that milk. Then get her healthy before breeding her for milking next year.

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

As long as you're testing for CAE, I'd get a Johnnes test, too. This getting skinnier despite lots of good feed can just be a very milky doe, or it can be Johnnes, which is pretty scary. You can use the same tube of blood to test for both CAE and Johnnes, I believe, but check with your vet. You can save money by doing the draw yourself and just take the tube(s) in for testing.

8. Cheryl in SD

Here is what we have done...

She was wormed with Ivomec and is scheduled to be done again in one month. The kid was wormed also. She has stopped losing weight, and while thin, we are waiting to see if she begins to gain now. The lady I got her from will come on Tuesday to see her if she isn't better by then.

Since I first wrote she is looking healthier. She is eating better and her coat is now shiny. The skin that was bad has cleaned up and she is showing more personality.

I have not had the blood work done, I put a call into my vet Tuesday, he still hasn't called back. Every time I call he is busy. We may be looking for a new vet, but according to the goat lady, most vets around here don't 'Do' goats. I am leaving tomorrow for a funeral (neighbor is goat sitting) and will try again to get a vet when I get back.

I gave her probios twice, and nutridrench twice and have increased her feed. She is now getting what her former owner said she was before (the go between had told me about half what she was used to!) This may have been the trouble, so much for following directions! The kid is getting fatter too! The goat lady suggested we increase her feed also.

How am I doing?

Cheryl

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

you are doing great cherryl. there is avery good website about drawing blood on a goat. it is very easy and can save you some money. then you can send the blood to the lab your choice and don't have to wait.
    susanne

10. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

where is this website? Can you post it? Thanks.
    If your goat is getting better, than you are doing something right!!
    www.geocities.com/buckshotboers2003

11. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

you can do a search on google. i don't have it anymore
    susanne

12. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

http://goatconnection.com/articles/publish/article_151.shtml

Here is the article on pulling the blood.

Also, saanendoah.com has all the specifics for sending in your samples and what to test for.

You don't have to have a goat vet if you come armed with information. All you are asking is for a vet to pull blood for you, if you can't do it yourself, or don't know anyone who can. Take the blood home with you on ice, and send it in the next day. Or, give the information from saanendoah.com to your vet and have him send the blood in. He may have his own lab he wants to use, ask him if the lab runs Ellissa tests or AGID tests, once he understands that you know what you are talking about he will take you more seriously. Do your homework. Most vets don't see goats, and when they do they are on deaths door, or very poorly taken care of. 'Throw away livestock' mentality, as one vet put it to me, and the way alot of folks take care of them and the price they go for at auction, it's no wonder vets don't take us seriously. So start your relationship with your vet right. Learn everything you can, come to him with information he can use.

Once you have been at it awhile, Goat Medicine, a vet text, is your next step. Armed with a vet text on your species of livestock, any vet will take you seriously. Vicki

13. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Drat! I can't get the pictures of the 9 yo girl doing the blood draw to load. All I get are red x's and captions. I was going to have my dd13 read it for goat 4-H.

14. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Cheryl, I can't remember what side of the state you're on but we have a great goat vet in New Castle, Wy. Super cheap, easy to talk to and is willing to try drastic measures when needed.

15. Cheryl in SD

I will be in Newcastle tomorrow morning, chiro appointment! Could you either pm me or post the name of this vet? The one I contacted doesn't treat goats generally, he is a small animal (pets) vet mostly.
    I will call and talk to your vet in Newcastle tomorrow if I can.

Thanks!
    Cheryl in SD