had babies lastnight?????

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by lillbear, Jun 6, 2004.

1. lillbear

lillbear Member

i am new at this stuff i want to know how many there are when is it safe to pull them out to count??? thanks for any help

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

I check nest boxes all the time. Right after they kindle and then daily.

3. lillbear

lillbear Member

ok got the full count she had 10 babies one is really small and was crying alot is this bad?i hope its ok

4. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Probably the runt. Might get pushed away at nursing time. Watch to make sure the belly is round. If so then it is being fed. This is why it is always a good idea to breed 3 or more does at one time so if you have a larger litter and another doe has a smaller litter you can foster them to the other rabbits so all are being fedand have equal litter sizes.

5. lillbear

lillbear Member

we just bought her and she was already preggers at least she had us a good size litter:)....our other four does are due at the end of the month
    hope all goes well with them thank you tracy for all your help:)

6. ltcc

ltcc Member

10 babies is a good litter was it your does 1st litter? If she is a good mom she should have no trouble feeding 10 mouths. One of my does is currently nursing 15 healthy baby bunnies. If it is her 1st litter make sure your hands do not smell of any other animals before checking babies. I have a fickle doe who I always rub her 1st and her nest before even trying to look at new babies so they have no chance of smelling funny. A new mom could kill her young if they smell different then she thinks they should. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. lillbear

lillbear Member

she is doing great with the little ones and the runt did not make it:(we always check them first thing before we mess with any of are the rabbits to make sure we have a well feed bunch:)thanks for your help its nice to have help with anything:)