Had a Terrible Scare this morning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Right at 8:00 a.m. the school called and told me to hurry to the school house that my daughter was having trouble breathing. My wife and I jumped in the truck and speeded to the school. When we got there the EMT's were already there and had our daughter on oxygen. The sight of that Ambulance wracked our already frayed nerves.

It turned out a older boy had pushed my daughter down the steps on the bus causing her to fall into the metal hump on the bottom step. It hurt her stomach and chest. It scared her and she started hyperventilating. It took us and the EMT's an hour to calm her.

The "sub" driver was busy doing her nails and wasn't paying any attention to the students offloading from the bus.:mad:

I can only imagine the chaos tomorrow when the other students will have to hear all about her "experience" with the EMT's.

We are thankful that she protected her head and took the brunt on her belly and chest. It would have been better if it han't happened at all.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a 15 minute morning and 1:10 minute evening bus ride every day. Hated it. Hated every minute of it every day. This was 20+ years ago in rural area.

Can't imagine how bad it must be with kids the way they are now, or in a more difficult area.

--->Paul

3. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Kenneth,

I am glad that your daughter is ok. I can only imagine how scarry it was for and your wife.

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Glad she is okay, but what about this boy that pushed her? Did you find out why?

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

hope your daughters ok now.here the boy would be suspended and the bus driver fired! that kinda thing really makes for grey hair.

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I hope she is ok now.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Kenneth, I hope things are better today. With everything going on for you, this sure tops things. Wishing you and your family good health.

8. Emily Nouvertne

Emily Nouvertne Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear this happened to your daughter (and you) this morning. I am a school bus driver, I take almost 100 kids (from K-12) to school every day and unfortunately things like this happen some days. Are you serious about the driver doing her nails? If the sub driver is new it is almost understandable that she might not react in a proper fashion because I can tell you that driving a school bus somedays is VERY OVERWHELMING! Especially if they are misbehaving, because kids do this to sub drivers. Between the bus, the kids, and the 2 way radio things get hectic, and usually at the worst time.
    I'm glad you all are alright.

9. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

We have monitors on our busses to attempt to avoid such as this but sometimes it is not preventable.

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

You have the right to ask the school what their findings are from the incident report and what measures they took to prevent this happening again.

I was already called once this year because a boy grabbed my daughter's forearm and pushed it down on the cafeteria serving area and severely burned her. She will carry that scar for life. The school no longer allows the kids to serve themselves now.

The bus situation is even scarier here. They had high school students riding the same bus as my first grader. The big kids thought it was funny to give my child a condom and tell her to "blow up the balloon". Another time a 4th grade boy beat my 2nd grade girl up on the bus. She had a blood blister on her eyeball where he flicked her and bruises up and down her shin where he kicked her with his cowboy boots. She is in a private Christian school this year and what a difference there is (which proves whatt can be done with proper management)!

We had an incident in Central Florida recently where a mother was arrested for assault because she came aboard the bus and beat up a middle school girl for calling her daughter a name. The child had bruises on her neck where the mother tried to strangle her and the bus driver didn't prevent it.

11. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

I am glad it turned out OK.

Schools are in the education business (not terribly good at it) and not the freight business. I am a believer in parents taking the responsibility to get thier cargo to and from school. Think of the cost savings to scool districts..

12. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I would be finding me a young boy, dragging him out of his class room, and ripping his head off. Man that had to be scary.

13. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Wow - you are being a LOT calmer about it than I would be.

I'd get that boy's name, and the bus driver name. Then I'd be talking to the principal of the school demanding a meeting of the parents and the boy with me.
    And I'd be holding the parents of the boy responsible for the bill for the EMT's coming out.

And that's just to start....

I do think I'd also try to get that kid kicked off the bus for a good long timeperiod.

You can mess with me, but mess with my girls and I come out like a tiger mamma.

AngieM2

14. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

School busses can get bad sometimes. Im glad it didnt get any worse than it did. Ive had good and bad drivers, my aunt is also a driver. Ive had drivers who had assigned seats and hung a paddle up for all to see and one driver who wouldnt let me ride on her route unless she had an extra seat, which meant that 3 out of 5 days a week I walked a half hour to school in the 5th grade. that was taken care of, but she was so rude and nasty that I finally got permission to walk to another stop so I wouldnt have to deal with her. DD is looking forward to riding a school bus but chances are she'll never be on one. Kids get left on the bus around here all the time.