Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only seen bits and pieces of this series, but it was really interesting and enlightening.

·
Registered
28,454 Posts
At Instagram, we have many different job roles that analyze data. A few of the ‘data’ job titles include: Data Scientists, Analysts, Researchers and Growth marketing.

But there’s often a lot of confusion between the roles of Data Scientist vs Decision Scientist.

We have both here at Instagram and they fill different gaps. So I thought I’d explain the main differences I see from my personal experience in the Decision Science role, working closely with my Data Science colleagues.

·
Registered
28,454 Posts
Some very smart people are doing battle with our minds

WRITTEN BY
Chris Dowsett
Follow

Head of Decision Science + Analytics @ Instagram. Tinkerer. PhD. Social Scientist. Conservation, paddleboarding and smoothie fan. Views are mine only.

·
Super Moderator
13,383 Posts
Mind hacking. That explains why the Cat scan of my head after a backward fall down the steps skull fracture showed "404 reaped" on my forehead LOL

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Nephew went to work for a real estate broker one county over last week. He told the new boss what we do and the boss told him he would like to meet me. Nephew asked why. He said he'd like to get in my head! Nephew told him he hadn't figured me out in 22 years!!!

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
A CAT scan of my head would probably result in "insufficient data".

·
Registered
19 Posts
I worked a job for three years in a shop in which I could wear headphones all day, and I hacked my mind over that time period by listening to audiobooks. There's a website called "librivox" where volunteers read public domain books and upload the recordings as mp3s which can be downloaded for free.

I took a deep dive into the philosophy section, reading Plato, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, Lao Tzu, Machiavelli, Hobbes, Spinoza, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Marx, (Henry) George, Belloc, and I ripped a lot of Spengler from YouTube. You know: all of the dead, white males that they tell you you're not supposed to read anymore. Except for Marx; he's okay in their eyes.

Anyway, while I'm no prince of academia, I certainly got smarter than I was before. There are no quick mind hacks; the best mind hack is education, preferably in reading old books because they were written in an age when people thought more deeply and wrote with better prose.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I worked a job for three years in a shop in which I could wear headphones all day, and I hacked my mind over that time period by listening to audiobooks. There's a website called "librivox" where volunteers read public domain books and upload the recordings as mp3s which can be downloaded for free.

I took a deep dive into the philosophy section, reading Plato, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, Lao Tzu, Machiavelli, Hobbes, Spinoza, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Marx, (Henry) George, Belloc, and I ripped a lot of Spengler from YouTube. You know: all of the dead, white males that they tell you you're not supposed to read anymore. Except for Marx; he's okay in their eyes.

Anyway, while I'm no prince of academia, I certainly got smarter than I was before. There are no quick mind hacks; the best mind hack is education, preferably in reading old books because they were written in an age when people thought more deeply and wrote with better prose.
Do you have the same "job"??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts