Habitat for Humanity ReStore

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by teresab, Jul 22, 2005.

1. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone to a ReStore and what kind of things did you find. I need to build a coop for my chickens..they live in their tractor now but with winter here before you know it I was thinking of trying the ReStore for materials. I live about 1 1/2 hours from Cleveland (the closest Habitat Store) . So if anyone has been to one of their stores tell me what kind of good stuff did you find and was it "worth the trip". Thanks. Teresa

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

we have one here. I wasn't looking for anything in particular when I went. Just to see what they have. Typically they have a lot of used kitchen stuff, plumbing, lights, but the best was windows. They had several large windows 5' x 2' anderson windows for $30 each.

Didn't have the $$ or I'd have snagged them.

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I am going to the one in Atlanta next weekend. I will let you know what I find.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The one here had big wondows for $10. I was gonna get them for my chicken house, but someone gave us metal frame double hung windows, and free is better.

The also had an array of doors at god prices, metal shelving stuff, one or two of this or that, an assortment of paint, a gallon here and a quart there.

It's well worth checking out, more than once, as things change. Last time hubby went, they had a bunch of kitchen cabinets, but not the size I need for the mudroom.

Meg

5. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

I was an active supporter of HFH for a long time. I finally went to their restore and was extremely disappointed by both the quality of the goods offerred and the prices. They had a lot of old, used or scavanged building materials which were overpriced, and they had some new items, like windows, which had been donated by the manufacturer but which appeared to not be in mint condition, seconds or damaged items possibly, and they wanted nearly full retail price for them. I left disappointed and have never gone back.

6. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

A restore? I guess they are trying to raise monies to build other houses. We applied twice for a habitat house and didn't get in. The first one they were actually building two houses, one was already given and the other had to go to a someone already living in that community. We lived a few towns over so weren't qualified for it.
    Then we found out they are building one in another neighboring town and my DH is a town employee of that same town and we thought sure enough we would be high on the list for choices. Nope. Only want someone who is already a resident of the town. Which I don't get because its a wealthy town and like 98% of the people who live there are filthy RICH! I mean really rich. The houses are valued at no less than 1/2 million bucks.

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

In a town where I once lived they did two of those habitat for humanity houses. Each one turned into a blight on the neighborhood which considering the area they were built in was quite an accomplishment. The neighbors had a more derogatory name for the organization, they called it "Slums For Scum".

I'd never feel right taking charity like that. I always annoyed my college counselors because I wouldn't apply for their charity grants. I paid my own way. I've been working multiple jobs and still poor enough to live in my car but I never took charity. I paid for my houses myself too. I might have qualified for habitat for humanity but I would have had dead relatives rising from the grave with the intent to do me great harm if I was ever even tangentially connected to anything involving jimmy carter.

8. DakotaBrat

DakotaBrat Well-Known Member

I was very dissappointed in the Restore up here too. Heard about it on our local radio station. From the sound of it thought it would be something to check out. Mostly salvaged material and prices were higher then the salvage yards.

9. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the area where the store is located. Our little local store doesn't have anything but junk. The one located 60 miles away in an upscale community has an everchanging variety of things. Their salvage building materials do always seem overpriced to me. But I got a half a roll of wire fencing for $2. A metal freezer basket for $2.50 --- a new clothesbasket, a working fan, some candles, flowerpots, and other stuff --- and spent less than $10 total. I love a bargain!
    Anne

10. deb

deb Well-Known Member

There's a ReStore down in Madison and We love it. We've gotten a couple of new light fixtures, lots of quality wood boards, wooden moulding, nails, etc. and all were priced very reasonably!

The ReStores depend on volunteers for staffing and the building community for donations. Madison is overflowing with a lot of good will toward their chapter of Habitat for Humanity and their ReStore and it really shows. Not only do local builders donate leftover supplies and mis-ordered supplies, they also allow ReStore volunteers to remove all the recyclable & resellable materials from old buildings before they are demolished. We've seen lots of old marble countertops and sinks, wonderfully carved front doors and amazing antique house fixtures at the Madison ReStore. Not only do donations come in fast & furious, but the stock gets sold quickly too. DH and I know that if we decide to pass up on a ReStore item that it will NOT be there the next time we make it to the store.

I have nothing, but praise for the Madison ReStore and for the Habitat for Humanity chapters in WI

deb
    in Wi