Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have more Habaneros than we know what to do with!

any suggestions?

I am off to google recipes and preserving methods for them

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
"Monster Mash" sandwich spread!1/3 habanero ,1/3 white spanish onion,1/3 carrot all grated together. Add a pinch of salt,1teaspoon minced garlic,1 teaspoon olive oil per pint canning jar.Top off to cover ingredients with cider vinegar.
Great on a breakfast sandwich or others of your choice.

Wade

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh thank you for all the ideas!!!

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
a sauce, pickled, dehyrated.

The older blenders that have the screw on base to the blender jar, the base will fit on a canning jar, so if you dry them and put in jar and attach to blender base, you can powder them up and then set the jar upright to settle before taking the base off and putting a lid on the jar. might want to do this outside though, just in case.

I'll just go ahead and assume that you will be wearing gloves and a mask though. Maybe goggles. That stuff has a way of getting places you don't want it.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
String them up and let them air dry, then grind them up into powder for seasoning stuff. I would suggest doing the grinding outside, on a windy day, with you standing upwind. Use a coffee grinder or food processor with a tight lid. If you have a bumper crop, you may end up with enough habanero powder to last for years.

They will keep for a very long time (years!) once dried, so you don't need to grind them up immediately. Just put them in jar until needed, after thoroughly dry. (You could leave them hanging up for decorative purposes, but they tend to get dusty.)

We have a neighbor whose mother eats habaneros the way most people eat pickles. We give all our extras to her!

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to suggest to DH the Monster Mash- a Hot Sauce and stringing them up to dry-
we already smoked a bunch and dried in the dehydrator- LOL
I have no idea what he was thinking-
we have about half a bushel of regular peppers to dehydrate too- not including the 3 bushel I have yet to pick-

I need like 6 more dehydrators!

not complaining though-

I like the idea of stringing them up to dry- since I won't have to worry about them using dehydrator space-
and yes we use gloves:) and the dehydrators are outside on the back porch

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
To elaborate a bit --

For thick walled peppers and chilis (jalepeno, santa fe, wax, bell peppers, etc) you can just throw them on the grill whole. Sear them on a hot bbq grill until the skins are black and they're cooked through. Stand upwind if cooking hot chilis. Then freeze the with the skins still on.

When you want to use them, partially thaw them under HOT tap water. You want to thaw the skin without thawing the chili. The skins should slip right off. Then you can dice up the still-frozen chili and use it however you want.

We always have bags of various roasted chilis in the freezer.

For more delicate chilis like habaneros and cayennes, drying is really the best way to preserve them en mass. I've never bothered with a dehydrator, even during the monsoon here. I just string 'em up with a needle and thread and hang them somewhere dark and relatively dust free. They'll dry on their own in a week or two, then you can grind them up as needed.

When I lived down in the desert, I grew cayennes every couple of years -- a couple red cayenne chili bushes would give me a crop that would last 2-3 years. (And I use a lot of red cayenne powder.) I sometimes sold fresh or dried habanero peppers at the farmer's market, too.

Peppers just don't seem to grow as well up here in the mountains, so I'm envious of your crop. I planted about thirty plants this year (anaheims, big jims, jalapenos, red bell peppers, cayenne, and thai) and I have less than a quart bag of frozen jalapenos in the freezer right now and everything else has barely produced enough for three people to use. Pretty pathetic. I broke down and BOUGHT some santa fe chilis at the grocery store and roasted them. (The cayenne plants, which I planted in a flower border because they're such pretty plants, were doing fairly well until our puppy ate the entire plants, chilis and all. :huh:)

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
I am going to suggest to DH the Monster Mash- a Hot Sauce and stringing them up to dry-
we already smoked a bunch and dried in the dehydrator- LOL
I have no idea what he was thinking-
we have about half a bushel of regular peppers to dehydrate too- not including the 3 bushel I have yet to pick-

I need like 6 more dehydrators!

not complaining though-

I like the idea of stringing them up to dry- since I won't have to worry about them using dehydrator space-
and yes we use gloves:) and the dehydrators are outside on the back porch

:whistlin::whistlin::whistlin::whistlin::whistlin:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/sanders63.html

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
One year we tried making habanero jelly -- well, it went beyond even the syrup stage (my jelly tends to be either rubber or syrup) into the candy stage. Some of our family are anxious for us to make more, they liked it so much! Habanero brittle!

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Monster Mash" sandwich spread!1/3 habanero ,1/3 white spanish onion,1/3 carrot all grated together. Add a pinch of salt,1teaspoon minced garlic,1 teaspoon olive oil per pint canning jar.Top off to cover ingredients with cider vinegar.

Wade

So can I Can this ? Hot water bath it?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Ok I can eat Whole Jalapenos no problem. I ate one of these whole :eek: Never ever again!

big rockpile

Reactions: Cygnet and Becka03

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
So can I Can this ? Hot water bath it?

It's not really necessary! The vinegar will preserve it. You shouldn't even need to put it in the fridg but I do. If you are making a lot I would heat the vinegar and seal the jar as soon as I poured it in.It should vacuum seal at that point.We didn't heat anything 'cause we use it up pretty fast so never really thought about long term storage but I still got a jar from 2 years ago that's still good. Wish I could tell you more.

Wade

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Several years ago, we grew a bunch. I threw them all into a gallon freezer bag and froze. When I make salsa to can, I use frozen tomatoes and shake out three habaneros. I usually chop two finely without the seeds and one with the seeds. Those frozen peppers are going to last a long time!

Reactions: mnn2501

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found a recipe for fermenting them this morning gonna try that too

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Wade
Holy Moly!!! LOL- does this mellow at all? DH made 6 pints of it today-
he liked it but said "Holy Moly- ask if this mellows at all otherwise we have a lifetime amount now!"

we have a cousin that loves to eat hot sandwich spreads- so I am sure we will give her a jar- and I have a friend at work that loves hot stuff- So I will take her a jar too

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Holy Moly!!! LOL- does this mellow at all? DH made 6 pints of it today-
he liked it but said "Holy Moly- ask if this mellows at all otherwise we have a lifetime amount now!"

we have a cousin that loves to eat hot sandwich spreads- so I am sure we will give her a jar- and I have a friend at work that loves hot stuff- So I will take her a jar too
Na! That's pretty much it! I like to drain some of the vinegar until it get's thickened up where it's a lot like grated horseradish. We go through a pint a month(just the wife and I)I used to throw together an egg sandwich with a teaspoon full per sandwich. You won't need coffee! You will be awake!
If you don't like it that hot and want to retain the flavor (oh ya! What about the flavor? Do you like it?) I think I'd just grate up more carrots till you get the flavor you like.
See why we call it "monster mash"? It does make great holiday gifts,at least one everyone will remember!LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts