Haalp, Harvesting Onions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TNHermit, Jun 21, 2006.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to leave for a month. My onions are nice size and the tops are about 1/2 fallen over, Can I harvest them now or if I leave them will they rot. Garlic too!

TIA

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I see you're in East Tennessee. A lot is gonna depend on your elevation. If you're high enough to avoid the heat and humidity, they'll probably be okay til you get back. If not, and it's gonna turn off really hot and humid, I'd go ahead and pull them before you leave.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i'd leave them in the ground, to let them "cure" a bit more. they keep better that way. just don't leave them so long they start to sprout again. dog days and the dry season is right around the corner.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Not sure about the onions, but I'd definitely go ahead and dig the garlic. If you leave it too long, the skins around the head will deteriorate and leave naked, dirty heads. The cloves may even fall off the basal plate, especially hardneck varieties. It's probably as big as it's going to get if the tops are half fallen over already.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in NW MS and I've already had to pull my onions. Some of them were starting to rot and it's been dry here.