H5N1 Avian Flu

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Nov 4, 2005.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I have heard a lot of talk about this avian flu in the East, is anyone worried about it or do you think it will not be as bad as predicted, what are your thoughts? I personally don't think it will pan out like they say.

2. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

Don't think too hard on it. It still needs to mutate a lot to be able to totally destroy any significant population. Every year sees it's share of avian flus, this is just something the media decided to talk about because it scares people. News wouldn't be news if it didn't make folks break into a sweat and worry about their survival.

You'd be a lot happier and more stress-free if you just turned off the tv news and did something you enjoy.

3. Dylan

Dylan Pontifex Minimus

I'm in Hong Kong and we aren't worried. In the US, sensational news sells. Stop listening to Fox and just get a flu shot. It won't help you against Avian Flu, but it will protect you from many forms of flu that can weaken your immune system to Avian Influenza, and also if you are infected (by some freak chance) with Avian Flu, you likely won't have another form of flu in you that can cross with Avian Flu to make it more likely to hit humans. I get medical reports across my desk virtually weekly. Trust me, most people who got the flu have had such a HUGE viral load (in some cases from drinking raw chicken's blood) that evn though there are species differences, the viral load allowed them to get the Flu. It is still not highly contagious even from birds to humans.

Finally, as a side note: the Flu Shot doe NOT give you the flu. All pathogens in the flu shot are dead, and cannot transmit the flu. Those people who experience flu-like symptoms after a flu shot are having either a histamine reaction or an immune response. Talk to your doctor about taking an anti-histamine after the shot...

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

The Guvmint seems all excited about a 'flu that's all the way across the world and may or may not be an issue, but no one seems to be at all upset by the West Nile Virus that kills an average of 15 people annually in IL alone. I don't know the counts for the rest of the states, but I'm willing to bet that more people have died from West Nile in the past year here in the US than those who have died in the past ten years from Avian Flu.

So what's up with that?

Pony!

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Here in Australia we, and our government, are getting very worried about Avian Flu, and rightly so. Research has found the virus to be almost identical to the Spanish Flu virus of 1918, which killed around 30 million people worldwide. I don't call that a minor issue, nor one which should be ignored. Even given advances in medical treatment since that time, the explosion in worldwide population could mean that this current edition could potentially end up just as devastating.

The Avian Flu has already spread to several places across Russia and Europe, as well as Asia (that's a fair chunk of the world, when you think about it), and it can be easily spread elsewhere by migratory birds. No country can afford to be complacent about it. Just recently, in Melbourne, it was found in some commercially imported birds, but it hasn't spread beyond those few - yet.

Australia has begun to stockpile the Tamiflu antiviral, and for myself, I'm very glad to know that. It may never be needed, but it's a comfort knowing it's there if it is needed. This Avian Flu has the potential to kill millions. It's best to take precautions NOW, rather than after it's too late. We are not at Panic Stations yet, but we aren't sitting on our backsides doing nothing, either.

6. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that it will affect humans quite as much as the media hype is trying to make out . . . wish something more "interesting" would happen so they'd actually have some "real news" to report and stop manufacturing stuff to keep themselves busy.

What I am worried about is the affect the Avian Flu might have on poultry flocks, and it seems much more reasonable that the birds would get the AVian Flu than people - at least in the first instance. If there is one bird/chicken/turkey - you name it - that is proved to have Avian Flu here, there will almost certainly be a wholesale slaughter of birds in large geographical areas. Even small farmers and "homesteaders" could have feds marauding their property to destroy small backyard flocks.

No birds, no eggs. AND, at best it would take at least nine months to re-establish the flocks . . . and heaven knows what will happen to prices in the meantime -- could make gas prices look reasonable. Think of that when you're having your bacon and eggs for breakfast; or your chicken/turkey sandwich or chicken nuggets for lunch; or making a cake, pie, pudding or cookies; or basting your Thanksgiving turkey. I'm really glad I have a freezer and a pressure canner.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

MaryNY