H2O in My Beef---Seems That Way!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Jan 13, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............I usually buy my meat at wal-mart in those sealed containers. I buy a package with 10 to 12 tenderized pieces so that i can cook them individually. As I peruse the various weights and prices I don't usually observe any Liquid in the Bottom of the container. BUUUUT, when i broil in the oven on foil water just emerges from practically nowhere. Several ounces in fact. IS Wal-Mart pumping water into my Meat???? Something is Rotten in Denmark as the saying goes. AM I the only customer that has observed this situation??????..........fordy :eek: :D :no:

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

fordy, if you look closely there's a small label somewhere on the front of every package that says something like 'up to a 15% solution added'. So you're not nuts they do pump salt/chemicals/flavorings/colorings into your expensive steak. :no: I can't remember which cut but one had a label with a 22% solution!!
    I quit buying meat from Walmarts when I noticed those labels. Heck if I wanted water I don't have to pay $3 a pound for it!!

3. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughter's fiance is a butcher. It depends upon the type of meat you purchase (as in where on the body it comes from-what "cut" you buy) as to what amount of water will emerge when you cook it. Legally stores are allowed to "plump" their meats with water for certain reasons; mainly preservation, and this is also a cause of the misterious fluids that appear as your meat shrinks.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

KY, well i feel as dumb as a box of chocolate's. I , for whatever reason , just cruised right on BY that particular stastic somehow. Guess i'll have to patronize the local Kroger store..........thanks, fordy.... :D

5. We don't buy meat at walmart either. Ever noticed how bright red it looks? Like it has a dye solution pumped into it. Seems purty pricey too!

6. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Last time I was in Walmart, early December, in the "fresh" fish case was a beautiful display of salmon with a sign that said "Farm Raised - Color Added"! I'm glad I don't have to buy meat/poultry/fish/ etc.

7. Sedition

Sedition Well-Known Member

Most of the super market chains started pumping beef last year. In my area, only Fareway (a mostly Iowa only chain) doesn’t. Market studies indicated that the amorphous “consumer”, aka – sheople moron who thinks microwaved food doesn’t taste funny – wanted a beef product that was easier to cook. Also, pumped beef cooks better in clamshells, like the George Forman grill.

So they started pumping beef just like they’ve pump pork for years. Give it another decade, and all meat literally WILL taste like chicken.

This beef saline thing has almost got my wife talked into letting me finish some calves. Nothing like trying to get a good sear on a ribeye and ending up with a boiled steak – yummy!

Until you can find a decent butcher and start paying through the nose for unpumped beef – you can always grill. The water boils out and falls off that way. In Iowa and parts of the Midwest, you can shop at Fareway, who doesn’t pump their beef, although nearly all pork is pumped these days.

8. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

FORDY
    The best you can hope to find is a store that breaks down "boxed beef (primal cuts) :( What you encountred at Wallmart was "case ready" :mad: This socalled meat is packaged in a fabrication plant with solution and nitrogen added to retain color and flavor :rolleyes: on the long trip to the store :mad:
    This alows Wallmart to sell water for beef price :eek: and they do not have to employ a meatcutter :no: This alows them to keep unions out of the stores,and pick more money from the pockets of there customers :mad: :mad:
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

9. ICK! I sho' am glad I raise my own lamb, chicken, pigeon, pork & turkeys.

10. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice the google ad at the top of this thread is for Rib Eye Steak from Walmarts?? Talk about bad timing.. :haha: :haha:

11. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

That nice red color in freshly ground beef (where there is a butcher in the store) it's from the juice (read blood) that comes out of beef liver. Adds color and flavor to the ground beef...but you're not supposed to know that either. No wonder we want to provide our own food!

Liz

12. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

A cousin's husband is now about 85. He was a life-long butcher and learned the trade from his father. He said the first lessons his dad taught him was how to inject water into beef and how to add shaved ice to hamburger. Thus, this doesn't seem to be a new practice. As noted, shop where they cut their own beef even if it is higher priced.

Ken S. in WC TN

13. farmerscotty

farmerscotty Well-Known Member

to get the "red" color in the beef at walmart they are using nitrogen gas in the package to keep it looking fresher longer.............I just love the labels that people never read.......nothing like buying water............NOT

Scott
    www.realbeef.com

14. swamp_deb

swamp_deb Well-Known Member

The wet cardboard that is sold for chicken is the reason I talked my DH into butchering our own chickens. He's outside now building the new coop for the 25 cochin bantams and 5 silkies that are coming the first week of Feb. YEAH! Still haven't talked him into pigs yet.

15. poppy

poppy Guest

Ken, I was listening to Derry Brownfield the other day on the radio. He said he was on a tour of a meat processing plant some years ago. They could take a 2000lb bull, slaughter it, grind it into ground beef, and end up with 2000lb of meat. Doing what you said, grinding ice into the beef. No wonder it fries up to nothing.