H&R/NEF Project #1

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by hunter63, Aug 9, 2017.

1. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Since find a pair of H&R/NEF receivers at Gander Mountain....scratch and dent....Trying to decide what barrel is going on.
    https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/h-r-deal-at-gander-mountain-plus-other-deals.564667/

Spent some time playing around with different combinations

As one receiver was a direct click on...no additional fitting needed to the largest group of barrel that fit......That means it will fit all of the shotgun barrels, ML pistol caliber, and .22 Versi pak 22....(I mark what fits what, with fingernail) polish...LOL

So for my combo I chose the .45lc/.410 combo barrel (normally found on the "Survival Model".....

Clicked right but needed to clean some wood from the forearm to make a nice fit....(dowel and sandpaper)

The other stock, forearm and receiver set....english style...is in front

[​IMG]

Pic with the .22 Versi Pak ...off center bore to be used on a center fire frame.

[​IMG]

Added a cuff, sling swivels.....

Now I have to deside what barrel is going on the case hardened receiver...

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm "Please then, preface your opinions properly." Supporter

3. hunter63

Nice ....Tools...not Toys.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm "Please then, preface your opinions properly." Supporter

Most of my favorite toys are also tools.
    The term isn't mutually exclusive. ;)

hunter63 likes this.
  5. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

as are mine if it would cool off I could get some chainsaw therapy in , nothing clears the mind like running a saw. there is only cutting wood and the woods and what is present and right around you and nothing else.

hunter63 likes this.
  6. hunter63

No worries....
    But
    Guns are not toys in any stretch of the imagination....
    For some reason.........I haven't heard of a movement to ban chainsaws or golf clubs....

7. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

Don't forget rocks and hammers!

hunter63 likes this.
  8. hunter63

True Dat.

9. Texaspredatorhu

Do you do any trigger work to them or leave them alone?

hunter63 likes this.
  10. hunter63

Answer No....

I mostly leave them alone......seem to average about 6# maybe a little more.
    There is a hack involving valve grind compound....working it manually....till smoothed out....can't say?

These were designed and built as a low cost, rugged, light weight ....for knocking around in the truck.....so why bother?

Save the trigger work for the Weatherby and Ruger #1's and your favorite flavor of AR's.
    These are not for everyone......and with the prices much higher now, since the end of production and barrel accessory program ended.......For the same money, you can get a Savage, or Mossberg bolt gun the will shoot MOA out of the box.

11. Texaspredatorhu

I was just curious, I've never did a trigger on one. I've shot one and thought the pull was high as hell. Outside of my antique lever guns most all of my bolt guns and ARs have been built. Tried a savage and had real bad luck with it, savage is in possession of that one!

12. hunter63

Trigger work used to be offered at the factory....but was still limited in how much they would do...as a safety measure....they didn't want a hair trigger.
    It was common to send you reciever in to get a barrel fitted, and have it tuned in one trip.
    Check thru the FAQ ...pretty big section of triggers.
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r-centerfire-rifles/19157-faqs-help-please-read.html

Actually really hadn't heard any concern by the general population about triggers until the start of discussions the interwebs.

I do not use any of them as a target rifle....so am not too concerned...

13. GREENCOUNTYPETE

there is a smith David White that does trigger jobs on them he also stubs them to many other calibers and makes soem really accurate guns out of them, since the optic is attached to the barrel it becomes all about how the chamber is reamed , barrel quality and condition of the crown.

here are some stubbed guns , they are all threaded the entire lenght of the stub http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?268631-H-amp-R-Stub-Barrel

they apparently also find that a better ream and throat makes a difference , H&R welded the barrel post chambering and that has an effect on the chamber and throat

, I figure if it has a hammer that must be thumbed back then that is the perfect gun to have a light trigger on , you know when you pull that hammer back the gun is ready to fire.

I am not into hair triggers but 2.5 or 3 pounds on a rifle that you have to make ready to fire and would not carry ready to fire doesn't seem like an issue to me also being a single shot it is already unloaded as soon as you pull the trigger.

so where a 2.5 pound trigger on a hard recoiling semi auto would be an issue , on a single action hammer fired single shot not as much

hunter63 likes this.
  14. hunter63

I have heard of his work..and all the fine tuning these guys go thru....They really get into it.
    Just haven't got that serious about them...

15. GREENCOUNTYPETE

I haven't got serious about it either , for what they are spending I could buy a nice bolt action that would be guaranteed to shoot sub minute or replaced.

when I tried getting a 357 and 44 mag barrel on my SB1 I was looking into renting a 445 super mag reamer and reaming it , because I could rent that for about 50 dollars and ream to 445 a 220gr FTX bullet at 2200 fps sounded interesting and by adding about .300 in lenght but making a cleaner throat it was supposed to allow long loading of heavy cast lead bullets without running into the rifling on loading

16. hunter63

I haven't got into all the reaming, stubbing and reboring barrel for caliber not factory offered.
    The modded variations are limitless.
    I only have one reamed barrel....45lc Carbine....reamed to .454. 460...fitted up to the .44 mag receiver.

Have been trying to fill in the calibers I don't have.... for my little collection.
    Still looking for:
    7x57
    7.62X 39
    .300 BO.
    And a few variants Like
    45/70 Buffalo Special

17. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

.256 Win would be pretty cool. I have that in an old Contender.

18. GREENCOUNTYPETE

I think a 219 Zipper would be kind of fun

19. hunter63

Some of tgose many have been produced over the years.....
    As they are out of production....what's out there is it.

They did offer the .20 Ruger for while...scored one of those....and is really a hot rod.
    32 gr. (2.1 g) BT 4,225 ft/s

20. ergo

ergo Member

These days, polymer AR-15's can be had for $400, and a .22lr conversion unit for same is just $250. You end up with 10x as useful a longarm. for only about twice as much money. You can hunt with it, train with it, defend yourself with it (really well) win matches with it, suppress it (very easily) get luminous sights and drop in trigger job for it, get see thru scope mounts, and folding stock for it (expensive, tho) teach novices with it. Once it's suppressed, women LOVE to shoot it, and shoot it very well, too. It will take down in 5 seconds, to conceal in a pack (10.5" barrel) can have a chromed barrel and chamber, has a flashhider and a threaded barrel, has a dark, rust resistant finish, and offers 5 hits per second, not a hit every 5 seconds! :) The .22 unit can be swapped out in 10 seconds, or less, weighs just 3/4 lb, and works fine, groups 2" or better at 50 yds, some group 1" at that distance.