Guys stocking stuffer ideas needed

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Burbsteader, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I'm always responsible for filling the Christmas stockings. Each year I always have a Lifesavers Storybook and this year I am also going to have a Chocolate Orange.

Um, that is as far as I have gotten. For me, I am buying myself some colorful sock yarn, stitch markers and point protectors for my knitting needles.

For my boys ????
    For DH ???
    The only thing I can think of so far is a set of good quality mechanical pencils.
    They are all set for hats and gloves.
    I am stumped, but I need to get the items this week.

A word of advice. If you ever buy or make Christmas stockings in the future, make sure they are SMALL. I didn't. :p

2. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Lip Balm
    Permanent markers
    Favorite candy bars or nuts or gum
    Razors & shaving cream
    Socks
    Watch (I saw cheap ones at KMart for $4)
    battery operated hand or sock warmers
    might be costly for you - Jump drive for computer
    Scratch off lottery tickets

3. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Lets see....
    tools, haedlamps,bb's.pellets,hunting socks,knives, book markers,gift cards, hand held radios,hand warmer packets, drawing/art tools,jewelry,cologne,rechargable batteries, shake or wind up flashlight,never go flat inner tubes for bicycles.
    Will think of more later

4. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

fishing lures......crayons and rolled up coloring books[get at dollar store].....a tree made out of toilet paper roll or cardboard with a dollar taped to each branch....tools.......a book.......small cars..or the small lego sets for $2.00 come in a box......all i cant Think of now...i had to do mostly girls lol.....dale anne

5. shar

shar Well-Known Member

New Toothbrushes
    Nail Clippers
    Gift Card To The Local Fast Food
    Batteries ( You Never Have Enough For The Toys-etc)
    Window Scraper For The Car
    Small Bottle Of Cologne
    Combs And Brushes
    Color Books
    Gift Card For The Movie Rental Store
    Also The Dollar Store Is A Great Place To Get Stocking Stuffers

6. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    A mag-lite flashlite is always a happy gift for our guys(even if they already have 5). "Is that your flashlite or are you happy to see me??"--sorry couldn't resist;)

7. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

I just picked dh up a bunch of hand warmers for his gloves when he's riding his scooter.
    I'm also getting him some aftershave, his favorite candies and a 5 pointed thingamabob for his tool shop.

In the past he has gotten, a new knife, music cds, cookies and assorted small tools. One year everyone got a package that had batteries, flashlight and small radio that I had gotten free from an internet site in 1999. When the online stores would give you a coupon for 25/25 and wonder why everyone only spent 25.01 + shipping. Sometimes they even gave you free shipping!

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

boys always got soap on a rope, deodorant, gum,twizlers, a gun or car magazine,new toothbrush was mandatory. DEE

9. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

My family always gets: their favorite candy, toothbrushes, dental floss (the expensive --no ravel kind), i-tunes/music gift cert., razor blades, sample size q-tips, soap, lotion etc. (they all travel), gift cards to their favorite shopping place. They seem to enjoy their stockings as much as the other gifts or more!!!!

10. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

Drat, posted on wrong subject

11. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

A shake flashlight!

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

A roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40.

13. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Guns, utility tractors, outboard motors, tree hunting stands, Pontiac convertible, bass boat, and of course, pickups. Being a guy, the stuff listed above sounds great!

14. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Chas in ME how big is your stocking LOL :eek: Sounds like my dh's wish list!

A few ideas I don't think I've seen listed yet: deck of cards, word search or crossword or suduko puzzle book, can or jar of mixed nuts or cashews or flavored peanuts, buck grunt, belt, windshield wipers (for teenage boys with cars!).

15. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I'm getting my DH a tool from Sharper Image that's got a seatbelt cutter, glass hammer, flashlight and I think a screwdriver also. He commutes an hour to work and how some of the drivers are up here...need I say more?
    I would also think some scratch tickets, and a gift card. A can of cashews and microwave popcorn.

16. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
  17. Burbsteader

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

So far, I'm getting for DH-cans of macadamia nuts, mechanical pencils and a windup flashlight.
    DS11-novelty pencils, 'Walk the Line' DVD and Johnny Cash CD, his early Sun recordings.
    DS9-novelty pencils, 'Pirates of the Caribbean Pt. 2' DVD and Steven Burns CD. Steve Burns was the guy on the kids TV show, 'Blues Clues'.

The biggest problem with stockings is that if you are not careful, all that little stuff adds up to a lot of money. I will probably end up spending $50 EACH stocking this year. We usually do not go over the top at Christmas, but this year is shaping up to be more expensive than normal.

DH told me yesterday that he was going to go 'look' at model airplanes for DS11. He came home after 'looking' with a $120 model. That means I have to go get another gift for DS9 too.
    Budget? What's that???

18. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year all the guys (and a couple of the accident-prone girls) got boxes of "duct tape" adhesive bandages in their stockings. Think they came from Wal-Mart (can we say that word in this forum?).

Since everyone at our house is always up late on Christmas Eve and then dragged out of bed by the kids on Christmas morning, folks also get energy drinks in their stockings. Starbucks Doubleshot, Red Bull, Diet Red Bull. Candy bars are good in stockings, too... especially the extra-long "king-sized" ones. Not a good idea if the stocking is hung over a heat source though! (Not that one should ever hang a stocking over a heat source...).

It can be tough to keep the spending down on the stockings if people can't be satisfied with the simple things. When I was a kid, the stockings were fair game as soon as we got out of bed. Opening other presents had to wait till the rest of the family was up. Wanting to stay in bed as long as possible, my mom tried to put some things in our stockings that would keep us busy. Being on a very tight budget, we usually got (starting from the toe of the stocking):

a satsuma or clemintine, an apple (later I started getting a pear in mine when she found out I preferred those), a handfull or two of mixed nuts still in the shell (brazil nuts, hazlenuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds), a small bundle of "Christmas candy" wrapped in Saran Wrap or cellophane and tied with a bit of curling ribbon, a piece of ribbon candy, a coloring/activity/comic book, some kind of small toy like the ball-and-paddle or a yo-yo, a candy cane, and then a "special present". The "special present" was always thoughtfully chosen. One year my sister got a bottle of Tinkerbell perfume she'd been coveting. I once got a digital watch I needed badly. My brother often got a couple of Hot Wheels, which always went over well.

Mom always carefully arranged the stockings so they looked like they were running-over with great loot. The candy cane was hooked picturesquely over the edge of the stocking, the "special present" was poking tantalizingly out the top. The coloring/activity book was curved and placed at the back of the arrangement. She raised stocking-arrangement to an art form. I try to achieve that level of perfection with our stockings but it's never as nice as I remember them being when I was a kid. Not only that, but everyone's stockings are so HUGE these days!!! Takes four satsumas and three pears to just fill the foot! :grump:

19. Burbsteader

I made our stockings way too big. They don't look big, until you try to fill them. :grump:
    I really need to redo those stockings.

It was easy when the kids were younger. A coloring book, a bouncy ball and a stuffed toy. Piece of cake. :)

I've been saying that I need to redo our stockings ever since the first Christmas I had to fill them! LOL
    I'll get around to it....eventually.

20. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

You can stuff the dog out a big stocking with crew/athletic socks taken out of the package stuffed into the bottom of the stocking. All the more interesting stuff can be put at the top except of course the traditional orange or apple. Fruit and candy was always a biggie with my mom and who do you think I learned the sock trick from! :)