Gurney's

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cowboy joe, Jan 8, 2004.

1. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I received a catalog from Gurney's yesterday with a $20 coupon attached. There is apparently no minimim purchase as the coupon indicates that orders less than $20 are free...sounds as if it was my lucky day.

Their prices appear somewhat higher than my normal sources but $20 worth of free makes it tough to pass by. So, here's my question...has anyone purchased seeds from Gurneys? Poor quality seed is no bargin even when free. Thanks in advance.

2. Sedition

Sedition Well-Known Member

That's a heckuva deal! Wish I'd got it.

Mine said aferr spending $20 – my NEXT $20 is free. So I get $20 off of a $40 order. It’s still a good deal.

I don’t do much business with Gurney’s. Nothing personal against them, I just prefer to support smaller operations. But $20 off a $40 order might persuade me to purchase some fruit or berry plants.

3. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

ive ordered from them but it was years ago. at that time i was satisfied.

4. Katherine in KY

Katherine in KY Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten the Gurney's catalog yet, but since they've been purchased by the Gardens Alive outfit they've had that $20 offer. Read it carefully as the wording this year on the Gardens Alive coupon is kind of deceptive; you get $20 free after you buy $20. That means spending $40. It's a good deal if you're purchasing row covers or heating mats. I used to buy some seed from the old Gurneys, and it was fine. I've stopped buying from them since they were bought out; I'd rather support the small guys that have open-pollinated and unusual seed.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

When was Guerneys bought out by Gardens Alive?

I bought trees from them last spring, and they arrived rather late and were BADLY sprouted. HAlf of the trees died, so I have a credit to use.

6. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

There's a lot of negative comments from buyers about Gurneys on www.gardenwatchdog.com

I have done business with them a number of times but the last couple of seasons, the trees, vines & bushes were either dead or died within a short time after arriving. Customer service seems to be lacking now.
    I know they aren't owned by the same folks I did business with years ago, maybe that's the difference.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We run the $20 off thing around a bit on Melissas forum.. As it turns out everybody aren't recieving the same offer.. What you both discribed is correct. Some of Gurneys and Garden Alive catalogs Have coupons that give you $20 dollars worth free, and others require that you spend $40 to get the $20 off..

8. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I went back and re-read the catalog last night. Yep, it did say the $20 in products absolutely free with nothing else to buy. I'll consider myself real lucky on this one and hope that some of the rest of you receive the same offer. Now...what to get? It's suppose to stay in the single digits here for the next few days, with the wind chill well below zero. Guess I'll have two good reasons to sit by the fire and work on this summer's garden.

9. bcfarmer

bcfarmer Member

i also received the $20.00 free coupon. i already ordered online.if your worried about receiving dead plants order seeds or fertilizer or tools.

10. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We also tried to order on line. All was fine except couldn't figure out how to register the $20 coupon. where and how did you do it on the form? Thanks.

11. chickenman

chickenman Well-Known Member

I used my Gardens Alive coupon online and it asked for the code on the back of my catalog. All went well with the ordering process. I have used their seedling mix for a few years now, and I really like it.
    Oh, and when I first got the offer from them, it WAS twenty dollars worth of free merchandise. After the first time I used it, all other offers were twenty off of forty. This year I received the same offers from; Michigan Bulb, Henry Fields, Gardens Alive, and Gurney's. And I plan on using them all. :D

12. bcfarmer

bcfarmer Member

there's an account # on the back page by your address.there's a spot when you're checking out to type this in.

13. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

We had similar problems with Gurney's. We had ordered from them in the past and were very satisfied. But 2 years ago, we ordered quite a few fruit trees. They arrived many weeks after they said they had been shipped, and most were dead or died. They also substituted some trees that we had not authorized. Like black walnut trees for chestnut trees if I recall correctly. When we called to complain they said they were under new ownership and we would have to send them back the original (now dead ) tree in it's original wrapper with the original tags and receipt. While I had the receipt, I did not have the tags or paper they were wrapped in, so we were out of luck. I will never order from them again based on that situation. So be very carefull with so called money back guarantees. On the other hand, we bought some beautiful fruit trees at wal mart and Lowes the past 2 years and they are thriving! They are probably trying to bribe back some of their old customers with the coupons, but I am not biting.

14. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I ordered last year and got fruit trees with my coupon.One died, and I emailed them and ask where to sen the tree back to they said no need and they sent me a check to replace the free tree.

15. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i have bought fruit trees from gurneys the last two years and got great results. great trees and servace. i got both catalogs this year. does henry fields have both kinds of coupons.

16. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

I ordered from Gurney's for the first time last year. I ordered six fruit trees, and they were backordered, but all arrived within a week of when Gurney's emailed me to say they had been shipped. They were all in good condition on receipt, and despite being planted in heavy clay soil at my new property in June (and dh's grandma said never to plant trees in a month that didn't have an 'R' in it) all six have lived (so far). I really didn't take very good care of them in terms of making sure they were adequatedly watered etc during the heat of the summer, yet all put on nice growth.

I also received the Gurney's, Henry Fields and Garden's Alive catalogs last week with the coupons on them. Based on my experience with them last year (late, but healthy stock) I went ahead and ordered four more fruit trees and a book (book from Garden's Alive since they didn't have trees :) ).