Gurney's pyramidal strawberry bed - is it worth $43.50?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ellebeaux, Jan 2, 2006.

1. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I saw this in the Gurney's catalog:

http://gurneys.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_14075

It's a tiered circular bed for strawberries including a sprinkler and 50 'Ozark Beauty' plants for $43.50. Is it worth it? It looks cool to me but I'm the sort of person who likes to have matching towels...plus I know nothing about growing strawberries.

thanks for your input!

2. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I have never bought anything like that, but seems to me that if you want to grow strawberries as annuals, it will do a good job.

But it has been my experience that the big advantage of growing strawberries is that they can be grown as a multi-year crop. That is, if I put some new strawberry plants in a new bed this year, it might grow a few fruits this year, but the real advantage is that it will produce runners at the end of the fruiting year, and those runners will produce alot of new little strawberry plants that will produce alot more fruit next year. Two to three years after initially planting a strawberry bed, you can have a HUGE harvest from just one or a few initial plants.

I don't see how that would work with the gizmo you are looking at.

If you want to grow strawberries as an annualized plant, though, it ought to work.

But if you are interested in a cheaper alternative to growing annualized strawberries, locate the nearest softdrink bottling company. Soft drink syrup comes in 55 gallon plastic drums, nowadays, and the soft drink companies have to pay money to have those drums hauled away after they empty them.

I have had no difficulty whatsoever getting my local soft drink bottler to let me pick up empty 55 gallon drums from them at no cost to me. I pick up a 10 foot by 6 foot trailer load in a single trip.

Then I bring them home, take a circular saw to cut the barrel in half, and then I use one half as a "stand" to hold the other half up on. This allows me to have my strawberries growing at a height that is very convenient for me to work and weed.

The only cost is the cost of the WalMart Organic Humus soil I put in the top half of the barrel, plus the cost of the Garden Tone fertilizer and Perlite I put in it (Perlite lightens the soil up a bit; I always use it with soil I am potting), plus the cost of the plants themselves.

But you would have to pay for the strawberry plants, soil and Perlite even with the Gurney's gizmo too.

Note that growing the strawberries in barrel halves is real good for annualized strawberriy plants, but unless you clip the runners and plant them elsewhere, you have to start from scratch next year.

But then, I figure you'd have to do the same thing with the Gurney's structure, wouldn't you?

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Gurney's structure can be covered with straw/mulch just like any other strawberry bed to survive the winter. Have some friends with one. Can't really see spending that much when you can buy lawn edging or aluminum flashing and do about the same thing.

Right now I have some in planters that are rapped with burlap for the winter. Just a little experiment to see if they survive. Might be something for those with barrels to try.

4. celina

celina Well-Known Member

but it comes with a free strawberry huller, that makes it worth it right? :stars:

5. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I never had much luck with anything from Gurneys. I have grown strawberries and yah know what. I really like those day neutral everbearing strawberries . I live in New york and I planted 3,000 Tristars a few years back.I sold strawberries all summer and fall right up till October. I planted them in black plastic in April picked off the runners and let the plants set flowers in July sold berried $3.00 a pint all summer. I bought my plants from Nourse. You can probably google them. Good Luck

6. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought one about 4 years ago. Save your money or buy some aluminum lawn edging and do the same thing. I ended up only using the bottom ring as it would have taken so much soil to fill up to the top ring and if you think about it you are still only getting the same amount of soil surface with the one big ring. The sprinkler was sort of a joke. Really didn't cover all that well. Just my 2 cents.....