Gurgling cud?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have another dumb question.
    My little Nigerian Dwarf is about 3 months old. For a long time now she makes this gurgling sound when she eats grain, and when she chews her cud. It isn't in her chest, and she has no nasal discharge. She is healthy. When she got the cold they all had, she was one of the ones we put on penicillin because then she did get congested in her chest. Her symptoms cleared up, but we often still hear her making a gurgling when she chews her cud...sounds like someone breathing with phlegm in their throat. But when we listen to her chest, it is clear. Do some goats just have a gurgley cud?
    Also, some of the babies seem to choke a bit when they bring up their cuds. Is this because they are not used to it? They just do it a little, like {cough} and then they are chewing.
    Also, do you think I am a little too obsessive about my goats? :eek:

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, we all obsess about something, it might as well be goats for me and you...... :) I wouldn't worry too much about the funny sounds if its not in her chest. Many goats just have strange habits. I have one three year old that every time she brings up her cud, she starts moaning with every breath. She has done it since she was a kid..... :rolleyes: I would just be happy that they are chewing their cuds..... :goodjob:

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Your babies are just beginning to develop their rumens, so it is not unusual to notice some strange things. I had a couple of kids spitting up some cud when they were first weaned from milk. I gave them a little soda and the did just fine. The next day they chewed their cud without any problems.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

One of them is doing this dry cough thing that makes me nervous. Perfectly healthy in every other way. No diarrhea, no fever, no congestion, very active, good appetite.
    But she repeatedly goes,"Cough, cough, cough, cough!" It could be a cough-sneeze even. I am just not savvy enough about goat sounds yet...

5. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

One of mine does that too - she's about 7-8 months old. It worried me at first, but she's healthy and active, so I've decided it's nothing to worry about. I call it a "biscuit cough" (Baby Roo in Winnie the Pooh :p ) The baby Nigerians do too, sometimes, but they're not 3 months old yet so I figure they're just learning to cud.

My little Nubian likes to mutter and moan to herself when she eats her hay - that's just her!

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

my new buck has dry coughs when he eats. It doesn't sound like he is trying to loosen anything, so I dont' worry. Oh, and when my little kids were weaned, they made all sorts of funky noises when they were learning to chew thier cud.
    You know the noise that does make when they are in heat? Daisy sometimes does that to her hay... :)

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I think I may have figured out why the little Nigerian gurgles so much. It is because she is a tubby little piggy-wiggy who never stops eating! I think she is almost always overfull. Today she was choking on her cud as it came up and it smelled good to a couple of the babies so they kept sniffing her mouth as she went "hack! hack!" and she was so annoyed because of the hacking that she butt at them with spirit. Like, "Get AWAY from me! Can't you see I'm choking on my cud?!?" "Hack!" Butt!

8. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Thanks for the laugh! I can just picture it. :D

9. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Thanks for the laugh Jill! I hope that your little girl is allright, I wouldn't be worried though. Good Luck with your girls, bye.