Gunky Ears in LaMancha baby!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You need to clean her ears. Most LaMancha's are fine, but with longer ears that go upwards instead of down, they collect normal debrie and wax in them. Every month when we trimmed feet we would take a wash cloth soaked in hydrogen peroxide to clean out the ears of my daughters LaManchas. We never had problems then. Left on it's own she will eventually get an infection. I wouldn't use any antibiotics unless it's sore and painful which it doesn't sound like it is.

Vicki

2. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

THanks for your response Vicki. Actually it does act like it's painful for her. She doesn't like me squeezing on it and after much observation of her today she gingerly itches it and shakes her head. (I was unable to do this a couple of days ago as I was recovering from surgery). Besides if it was just normally gunky/dirty ears I would just clean them out, but yellowish sticky thick custard like substance should not come out of any ear and it be normal.

I have since got a hold of a vet in our area that does handle goats and am treating it as an ear infection. Her little gopher ears are too small to really get into with anything more than a very small pinky finger until she grows a bit more. The gopher eared babies have smaller openings than the elf eared ones. I have had no problems with my other one who's ears do stand up (reminds me of a cropped great dane to some extent! LOL).

I am administering Agrimycin 200 at 2 cc's today (based on weight) and 2cc's in three more days-boy did she cry during that poor thing! The vet warned me that it would sound like I was killing her; told me that it would burn. We are flushing with ear flush and then giving a couple of drops of genamycin (however that's spelled!) in each ear.

I'll have to update....