Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been to two gunshows in the past month here in Georgia.
There was plenty of any ammo caliber and any type of firearm including the labeled evil 'assault-style' rifle.
I didn't buy any ammo because both I don't shoot that often and I've got enough.
I also don't understand why anyone whose been around the past few years wouldn't have stocked themselves when things were plentiful and cheap.

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
people didn't just run to the store before deer season

guns have been flying off the shelf since March and few of them have anything to do with hunting they all have to do with staying alive , in your home and keeping your stuff.

9mm has been in high demand and any supply has sold as it hit the shelves since March

at the October gun show I worked 20 rounds of bulk 9mm fmj in a sandwich bag was selling for 18 dollars

the supply issue is that , when all the handguns dried up then the semi auto rifles dried up then the shotguns , the the lever guns , then the bolt action rifles

it is a serious fear issue

government is not doing their job

people are seeing that it is failing

they see promises of assaults on the bill of rights and the people from the Fed

they see local city , state , and parts of the federal governments pandering to communists and criminals

the Police that they once believed were there to serve the citizens and insure safety and order can't even keep their own cars and police stations from being looted and burned much less the businesses and homes of the citizens.

it is a MAJOR SHIFT in peoples thinking

the NEW REALITY really isn't any different than what many of us understood however about 50 million people pulled their head out of the sand when the POOP FAN spun

it isn't even just conservatives even died in the wool Democrats were asking where they could buy a gun crazy as that sounds they would like to live and suddenly the idea of a gun to keep their stuff their stuff and this side of the grave started to make sense. it didn't likely change how they voted.

when you remove the obstructions to entry it does make more people buy guns and shoot and hunt NY state went to an all online Hunters education program and set all new records for license sales

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just picked up a round gun from the gunsmith yesterday.It took him a couple of months to get it back to me, but he did an amazing job. We had a conversation about the increase in his business this year! He said he gave up working the looong days, because he could never get caught up. He said he made some people happy but the next day he was still buried. Now he does what he can by 5pm and then goes home. He says all gunsmiths are this way.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I hauled a load of hay yesterday, and stopped at the only gun store in town. They had two boxes of .12 ga bird shot, and a single box of 44-40 ammo. They have no idea when they might get any ammo. They were also out of primers, and only had a few cans of powder left. We are living in interesting times.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
I've been looking for a can of IMR 4350 for a couple months. Don't even see where you can order it. Had a hard time getting a case trimmer three months ago. Got a hornady one, you have to have hornady shellholders to make it work, liked to have never found those, had to buy a set of hornady reloading dies to get one of the ones I needed, luckily it was a caliber I kind of needed. The stocks of reloading equipment are even sparse, and from what I can see you can forget primers anywhere.

Every shop I have been in has been filled with people that don't look like regular gun store customers. There are long guns available, but the racks are 1/4 full, the pistol cases have a bunch of empty slots, and what's there is either high end or maybe a long barreled heavy caliber revolver of some sort. Ammo shelves look like the toilet paper aisle within a few hours of being stocked, and that is at highly inflated prices.

Sure am glad that all of my guns got lost in that boating accident.

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
saw a box of 1K primers yesterday with a price tag of 125.00 they stayed on the shelf

found some H4895 I had been looking for to replenish only 3 dollars more than I thought it should cost so given the times I just paid it , this was the first place I have seen it in stock in couple months they had 3 and I left with 2 I figured I should leave some for the next guy.

happened to hit farm and fleet and Fleet farm today

Fleet farm had 17hmr , and 300win mag and the 30 feet of shelf floor to 5 feet high between were empty

plenty of steel shot and #8 lead and if you want larger lead shot 10 round boxes of turkey loads

also a surprising amount of 16ga ammo

rifle rack about 1/4 , no shotguns under 450 almost no pumps no rifles under 500 most 700 or more

pistol case had a couple 22s and a 410 mares leg

Farm and Fleet had 308 and #8 shot 12ga looked like a case of Federal 308 had just been put on the shelf and yes some 300 win mag

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Here in NY the big box sporting store have nothing for ammo. Small gun shops have a limited supply at outrageous prices.
9mm, .357mag, .45 are very hard to come by.
More guns are hitting the racks as opposed to a few months back but it can be slim pickings.
Reloaded supply are like hens teeth.
And on top of it our Governor is friggin' crazy.
Seriously.
Even in my pro Democratic union shop we can't decide if he needs a psychologist or an exocist.

·
Registered
29,293 Posts
Guys. Come on.

This is not some liberal conspiracy, FFS. I don't know why any time an issue with guns comes up, it's "Lard left activism!"

This is a market problem. There's a shortage because people rushed the shelves right before deer season opened. Look at the gun market as a whole -- this will clear up like it always has cleared up.
Do you deer hunt?
I don't know any that use 9mm for deer. You can even use a rifle here, shotgun only

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
saw a box of 1K primers yesterday with a price tag of 125.00 they stayed on the shelf

found some H4895 I had been looking for to replenish only 3 dollars more than I thought it should cost so given the times I just paid it , this was the first place I have seen it in stock in couple months they had 3 and I left with 2 I figured I should leave some for the next guy.

happened to hit farm and fleet and Fleet farm today

Fleet farm had 17hmr , and 300win mag and the 30 feet of shelf floor to 5 feet high between were empty

plenty of steel shot and #8 lead and if you want larger lead shot 10 round boxes of turkey loads

also a surprising amount of 16ga ammo

rifle rack about 1/4 , no shotguns under 450 almost no pumps no rifles under 500 most 700 or more

pistol case had a couple 22s and a 410 mares leg

Farm and Fleet had 308 and #8 shot 12ga looked like a case of Federal 308 had just been put on the shelf and yes some 300 win mag
I went to a larger gun shop down in NC to get my daughter her over/under. Since I was buying as a non-NC resident, I had to endure a background check rather than just showing CCP. So, I had plenty of time to peruse the stock. The smaller gun shops near me only have about 50 ft. of gun racks. This joint had 5 times that and the shelves were not bare, but had a lot of empty rack space. There was some .308 and 30-30 ammo, no 5.56 or .270 at all, lots of shot shells of all calibers including pallets of all bird shot size, but only a couple dozen boxes of 00 and 0 shot.

They would sell 9mm, if you bought a weapon. 50 of hollow point or 200 fmj. But, none if you weren't buying a gun with it.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Have noticed on the deer dogging facebook groups I'm on nobody can find the buckshot they want. Buckshot is a very personal thing, each gun likes a size and brand. There were people buying what they can find and driving two states over to trade ahead of season. There has never been a buckshot shortage. But there's never been this many people buying a shotgun exclusively for home defence.

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
we must endure the NICS search and they tun us against the WIsconsin database also , it is a little more extensive than the federal only.
it really doesn't matter much to me I pass them in less time that it takes me to fill out the form. I get background checked all the time.

buckshot is a very individual thing to each shot gun much like slugs I was talking with a guy in the Mid south buck shot hunting area he was telling me a shotgun that shoots buck well both pattern and prints at point of aim is a family heirloom that shall never be sold. If you have a hunting buddy with no kids and he dies your offering his Widow good cash for his gun because you knew how it patterned buck.

we can not use Buck shot here even though there was many and are still a few shotgun only zones small but they are around. we got good at making those running shots with slugs.
I like to have a few years ahead on hunting ammo. including some to check zero every year.
I think after this year more people will keep 100 rounds of deer ammo and 250 of their favorite bird ammo.

·
Registered
29,293 Posts
No rifles allowed for deer hunting? Ew. lol
You don't get around much. Oddly this site does not even list my state, so I guess there are even more states that impose shotgun only

Ten states mandate �shotgun only� during the firearm season. These states are inclusive of Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Delaware, Maine, and Rhode Island. Three states impose �shotgun only� restrictions on firearm hunters in designated areas. These include Minnesota, Michigan, and Virginia. Roughly, 25% of all states impose �shotgun only� restrictions. This minority has produced the majority of all BTR entries.

These listings are entered by locality as follows: (NOTE: Shotgun mandate states are represented by asterisk or *.)
1. Alberta 15 bucks
*2. Illinois 11 bucks
*3. Indiana 11 bucks
*4. Ohio 7 bucks
5. Sask. 5 bucks
6. Manitoba 5 bucks
*7. Iowa 2 bucks
*8. Minnesota 2 bucks
9. West Virginia 2 bucks

10. Louisiana 2 bucks
11. North Car. 2 bucks
*12. Michigan 2 bucks
13. Montana 1buck
14. North Dakota 1buck
*15. New Jersey 1 buck
*16. Delaware 1 buck
*17. Virginia 1 buck
18. Nebraska 1 buck
19. New York 1 buck
*20. Maryland 1 buck
21. South Dak. 1 buck
22. Kansas 1 buck

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
Their information on Ohio is several years out of date. You can use rifles or handguns that meet barrel and caliber requirements as well as a shotgun during gun season. There might be a shotgun only restriction on some state owned lands but not private property.

I don't know what the number of bucks means but Ohio limit varies by county, from 1 to 4 of either sex.

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wisconsin used to be about half shotgun or pistol only.

then the state went rifle and oddly the Sheriffs found it was safer , fewer buildings and vehicles shot

turns out people treat rifles like rifles , they had been convinced by the state how much safer shotguns with slugs were that people didn't treat them with the respect that they should , just because you could not hit the target at 125 yards does not mean the slug wasn't still lethal at 250.

the strait wall cartridge states are also out there , further propelling how much you can stuff in a 1.8 inch or shorter case

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I wonder how many first time buyers purchased firearms this year.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Shotgun restrictions are more of a county thing than a state thing. The places that deer hunting is actually fun are usually shotgun only, because you couldn't hit them with a rifle when hunted in such a manner, because they blow across the path at warp speed with thirty head of walkers behind them.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts