Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is currently 11/18/2020 MN MI gun deer season is under way WI gun deer opens 11/21

pandemic started in March for most of us at least in WI 3/13/2020 this is the day they sent the kids home from school and said clean out your lockers empty before you leave. now they gave the kids the reason they were going to be doing some work over spring break cleaning lockers.

That evening the WI Governor declared safer at home was to start the 16th. only go essential places and stay home.

some of you may recall the big TP toilet paper shortage started about the 11th by 3/14 TP was a very scarce thing

I had had a online shopping cart on one of the major reloading site I checked and anything 9mm hollow point I had in my cart was now out of stock

we have a gun shop in town small place only open part of the day Saturday and a few hours a night during the week the owner has a day job but he and his dad keep a nice stock of reloading supplies and guns.

when they opened I was able to get some hollow point bullets and some powder and primers to help my supply out and get some reloading in all my spring shoots had been canceled.

I think the little shop stayed open about 2 weeks but by the start of april they closed down for a while , the shelves were fairly empty.

luckily he had several orders already in by 3/13 and stuff started to trickle in he opened up again and had a decent stock considering

now during this time March set an all new record for gun sales based on NICS search data over 3.7 million searches in one month having been in a few shops around this time 3 million searches could have easily accounted for 5-6 million guns couples were buying his and hers. guys were buying 2 at a time often a pistol or two and a AR rifle

weeks earlier there had been a lot of ammo in the warehouses at distributors on shelves and it was drying up quick

a lot of the sales were handguns people feared the unknown

May saw the death of a man in police custody in Minneapolis it became a race thing and within days the looting , rioting , vandalism and arson were out of control to the point the mayor told the police to abandon the precinct closest to it all and the rioters burned it along with blocks of stores
by about the 3rd night of this rioting and looting the police were so overwhelmed they just were not going to respond citizens started hearing for the first time on a 911 call , your on your own till morning call in if you need a report written up then. no fire no ambulance and no police while people watched looters parking in their neighborhoods to head to the stores a few blocks away.
by the 2nd night the looters were well organized using social media to warn the police were coming the area would clear out the police would leave and in minutes they were back at it. by the 3rd night trucks with armed looters pulling up no license plates or dealer tags people standing guard while they looted stores they had brought tools to breach doors and get around security fences the MSM didn't report that part much they were just "mostly peaceful protesters".

this broke out in more places it was wide spread in cities all over the country by June

any gun that could be considered self defense under 500 dollars sold

in June I was looking for a shotgun for my sons birthday , nothing available not even 28 inch barrel mossbergs or Remingtions

if people felt it could have any self defense value it was gone

rifles particularly hunting rifles in 308 , 30-06 mostly bolt action were still available and the prices hadn't really changed

I found a shotgun , a family member who had shoulder surgery and was not going to be using the magnum 12ga pump for ducks ever again sold it to me for a reasonable price happy birthday , he is a stout lad and can take the recoil the family member with shoulder surgery was not going to be able to take again.

March had se the new record at 3.7 million Nics searches NICS Firearm Checks: Month/Year | Federal Bureau of Investigation
June broke that Record with 3.9 million go figure American cities on fire and police watching their squad cars burn.
it has been steady around 3 mill every other month mostly I would think for lack of guns to buy.

ammo just keeps selling out as fast as it hits the shelves , new people surprised by it every week they always bough a box of slugs or 30-30 a few weeks before deer opener checked their sights and went hunting.

30-30 has been hard to find all summer it is just plain out most places

30-06 had been one of the rounds constantly on the shelf all summer and it is now drying up quick

last night I took the boy tot he local store he wanted to look for a deer rifle he had been using one of mine but it was time for his own.

I talk with the store owner , tell him we are in no hurry he asks what do I mean by that ,I said I know things have been crazy and it is taking a longer time to order things if we need to order what he wants. I know it is the week of hunting and you have people who probably expect to buy a gun and hunt it in 4 days.

he says Pete there is nothing to order maybe in 6 months maybe . if you don't see it here I can't get it the distributors have stopped taking orders.

that was a bit of an eye opener I knew it was bad but that took it to all new levels

not sure there has been a time in US history where you couldn't even order a bolt action hunting rifle in a common caliber nor a pump action shotgun.

maybe a little around WWII

there you have it it's that bad

that said there are probably more guns and more ammo in US civilian hands than at any other time in history

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
12ga in shot size 5 , 4 in lead or buck shot and slugs have been hard to find also

I had thought 22lr was going to be ok this go round even that is only minimally available

if you have lived through the ammo shortages of the past you would be a fool to be caught without some on hand yet many people are either completely new to guns or have had their head in the sand all year are getting a big surprise when they want a box or two of rounds for their deer rifle or slug gun

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Thanks to years of and numerous calls for unconstitutional gun control, hard left activism, anti 2 Amendment administrations, the media, etc most established firearm owners should have what they need. Ammunition might be another thing.
For these new to guns/first time firearm buyer/voter, they may be sol.

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a ridiculous number of people buy their 2 boxes of ammo for the year 1-3 weeks out from deer season

they may have owned a gun their whole life but are not well established

they are waking up to a world they had ignored for decades.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
These days, when I see a type of ammo I use, I buy a significant quantity of it and keep well stocked for all of my guns.
Found a 1,000 round box of .556 the other day and bought it.

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
I was lucky to replace the box of .22 lr Stingers that I used on raccoons this year. The shop had several boxes of segmented hp .22 lr. They said no more .22 lr will be available this year.

Just a few weeks ago even Walmart shelves were filled with shotgun ammo.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Lots of gun newbies standing in long lines in gun stores, trying to buy whatever hasn't been picked off of the shelf.
Lots of gun newbies complaining about waiting periods and processes. "What happened to that gun show loophole"?
I agree, the folks with a safequeen .32 and 11 bullets in a faded box from Pawpaw are being introduced to the reality of modern society.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
This area of the world there are sporadic shortages of ammo and persistent shortages of specific firearms. But, the shelves are stocked with all varieties of long guns, including semi autos rifles, pump and semi auto shotguns, and handguns of whatever caliber is your preference.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I am in southside VA. I have visited 5 different gun shops in the last week looking for specific makes of over/under shotguns with no luck in what I am in the market for. So, they aren't full of everything. If you are looking for a specific model, by a specific manufacturer, you may or may not find it. But, the racks are full of all calibers of semi auto rifles, handguns and pump/semi-auto shotguns. The ammo selection is spotty. There is no 9mm of any sort and sporadic 5.56, which are the only calibers that I use regularly. Plenty of shot gun ammo is available, at least for now.

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
things didn't look bad at my local shop for long guns until the last 2 weeks it is bolt action and lever guns only right now.
pump and auto shotguns some are available.
he would normally have at least 5-6 AR or other semi auto center fire rifle.
his only semi auto rifle this time was a 10/22.
he had about 8-10 semi auto handguns 100 would not have been an exaggeration in January couldn't have fit another one in now they can each have their own shelf and I know he has sold so many handguns like I said he stopped doing printed tags scratch make, model, price on a tag with a string and put it in the case it will be gone in 3 days any way.

I didn't spend much time looking at the ammo rack but it was sparse and 3 people walked in the door while I was filling out papers asked for slugs or 30-30 or other normally common ammo and the response was sorry out of that. a week ago the ammo shelf had most calibers at this store. the big box stores had almost nothing

I was at Fleet Farm Saturday it was a few shotguns , rifles over 800 dollars and if it was a 4-600 dollar rifle it was a 450 bushmaster , 350 legend or a 6.5 . 3/4 of the spaces in the racks that would normally be full were empty

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
The local Walmart had 7-8 shotguns (about all they are allowed to carry now). Our local hardware store, which has a gun department, was picked pretty bare. The local farm store, which normally has a back shelf of 60 guns, had maybe a dozen. The glass display counter had very few handguns remaining.
I honestly hadn't paid much attention lately until this thread came up. The firearm buying fever comes in waves like the flu anymore, and it looks to be flu season again.
I finalized my arsenal or cache, whatever the media wants to call it, a long time ago.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My local place has a decent selection of used guns. Those are the ones I prefer anyway. A decent selection of hunting rifles. Middling handgun selection.

It definitely is get what you can time.

About the only ammo around is .17 and 6.5 Creedmoor and some other odd balls. .243, etc. .308 is surprisingly available.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I've got a good supply of ammo but I don't dare shoot it, at least recreationally. I'll continue to add to the larder as it becomes available.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks to years of and numerous calls for unconstitutional gun control, hard left activism, anti 2 Amendment administrations, the media, etc most established firearm owners should have what they need. Ammunition might be another thing.
For these new to guns/first time firearm buyer/voter, they may be sol.

Guys. Come on.

This is not some liberal conspiracy, FFS. I don't know why any time an issue with guns comes up, it's "Lard left activism!"

This is a market problem. There's a shortage because people rushed the shelves right before deer season opened. Look at the gun market as a whole -- this will clear up like it always has cleared up.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Is toilet paper, printer ink, beans and rice a market problem?
Yes, things will correct as they most always do. If they don't, then we do.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is toilet paper, printer ink, beans and rice a market problem?
Yes, things will correct as they most always do. If they don't, then we do.
Yes, they are. We definitely wouldn't be having those shortages if people didn't rush the shelves and horde. People do the same thing with ammo.

Folks just need to give it time.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Yes they do. Those that do not prepare are typically the ones who sweep the shelves and have a pantry of goods they get tired of having to fix after about a week. That would be most Americans.
There is a difference, however, between the guy standing 15th in line at home depot for a generator the night the power goes out, and what is happening currently.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts