Gun Help or something

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by AllWolf, Sep 22, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Can any of you all tell me of a really good place to get me some more rifles to hunt with because I'm thinking of trying to go deer hunting this winter if possible but I need to know what is the best rifle to hunt with but will not throw me 10 feet backwards.. LOL.. I also want to rabbit hunt but not sure if the air rifle I'm using would kill one. Need opioins and help

Thanks.. :)

2. tuvold

tuvold Well-Known Member

Hey,

Check to see if your state has any limitations, first. Probably more deer killed with a 30-30 in this country than anything else. Good out to a couple hundred yards. It would depend on location, I guess. If you have to shoot longer distance might step up.

Should be able to find a selection at your local gun store, maybe KMart. Cheap arms and readily available.

My 2 coppers,

tuvold

3. AllWolf

Where we live there is no K-mart close by. I have been checking in rifles but trying to find out what be the best to have for deer hunting and learning more on hunting.

4. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

I'd go with a 30-30. Check your local Gunshop and have the Dealer order you a new one.....or he may have some good priced used one's on the rack. :)

5. Southernman

Southernman Well-Known Member

The best deer rifle? about as old a question as which is best, ford or chevy?
    Your best bet would be to try to meet up with some local hunters and ask their opinion. Personally, I like a 12 gauge pump with buckshot, but I'm sure someone would say it wouldn't have the range needed where they hunt. Everyone has their own personal favorite. A 30/30 as mentioned above, is a great deer rifle, so is a 30/06 and so on and so on.

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

What kind of deer? What conditions? Dense woods or wide open spaces? Or maybe some of both? Some states have limits on the smaller calibers. Usually anything from a 243 on up will do well once you learn to shoot it. Get a rifle that feels comfortable to you and dont worry too much about the caliber as long as its above the minimum. The 30-30 is a good close range weapon but lacks power and trajectory past 150 yds. Once you get above the 30-06 recoil will become a factor. Too many try to compensate for poor shooting by getting a "bigger gun". A good all around choice would be a 7mm/08 or a 308. Any name brand rifle will do well. Many say the 30-30 kills more deer. That is becasue it started in the 1800's. Most popular today would be 308, 270, or 30-06. Pawn shops are a good place to look for good used rifles.

7. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

Well, I'd say if you want "more" rifles, you could probably get them at the same place you got the others! :baby04: J/K!

Seriously, just about anything 6mm/.243 caliber or larger, up to .30 without a magnum as part of the name will do nicely. I especially like those cartridges based on the .308 Win. like; .243 Win. (lowest recoil but also light in bullet weight), .260 Rem. (ideal for whitetails and similar sized game), 7mm-08 Rem. (again, ideal for CXP-2 game) and for larger game like elk, moose and caribou, the .308 Win. is hard to beat, though the new .338 Federal and the old .358 Win., also based on the .308 are outstanding on the larger ungulates. The .30 on up calibers will kick noticeably harder, though nothing bad at all.

I've met a couple of gals, and heard of several more who regularly shoot rifles chambered for the likes of the .375 H&H Magnum and are no worse for wear! These aren't tank-sized gals 'built for the long haul' either! Sorry, just a myth about recoil knocking folks over...unless they have a propensity to do so whenever they're skeered! :eek:

K-Mart (Sears Grand now), hasn't sold firearms in a few years. At least the one in Oshkosh, WI hasn't. I bought my .22 there back in '98 and it seemed like not too long after that they quit selling them there. Wal-Mart here does. Personally, I'd look in the yellow pages and find a gunshop (guns & gunsmiths) or several and visit it/them. They can hook you up, lickety split! I've always wanted to say/write that! :nerd:

Ruger makes several nice bolt action rifles (Model 77) chambered in excellent deer calibers like; .243 Win., 6mm Rem.(even Remington doesn't chamber a deer rifle in that excellent one!), .257 Roberts, .25-06 Rem., .260 Rem., 6.5X55 Swede, 7mm-08 Rem. This group, to me, represents the cream of the crop for whitetail cartridges.

For folks thinking about throwing in some BIG black bear and possibly elk and such, the list goes on to include the .308 Win., .270 Win., .280 Win., .30-06 Gov't., and soon, I'm sure, the .338 Federal. There's nothing in the lower 48 that can't be handled with those.

There are also some good 'Magnum' cartridges that won't knock you into next week, like the Rem. SAUM's and the Win. WSM's, also, the 7mm Rem. Mag. and .240/.257/.270/7mm Weatherby Magnums. All very flat shooting and powerful enough for any deer that ever walked the planet, yet doable in the recoil department. Obviously, the smaller caliber versions will be the most gentle on the shoulder. I suppose the 6.5mm Rem. Mag. could also be included and perhaps the .300 WSM and SAUM and .325 WSM should be excluded.

Plenty of choices. You don't really need the magnums to shoot flat. If you live and hunt in the wide open western states or shoot accross several hundred yards of alfalpha, the .25-06, .270, .280 or .30-06 will be adequate with proper bullets.

Enjoy the shopping! I just got back from the new Cabela's store near Milwaukee! Loads of fun! :)

Dave

8. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

Of course, like many have said, the workhorse .30-30 Win. is hard to beat! Heck, if you're in real thick stuff where shots are always close, the .44 Magnum in a lever carbine is a good one. If we're talking levers, might as well include the .35 Rem., .32 Special (if you can find ammo!) and 7mm Waters (ditto the ammo question).

Throw BIG black bear into the mix, then we'll up the ante to include the .444 Marlin, .45-70 Gov't., .375 Win., .356 Win., and even the .450 Marlin! This bunch will let you know they've been fired! LOL!

Heck, while we're at it (digging up other goodun's), why not a cheap but effective military rifle/cartridge combo like the Lee Enfield in .303 British or the K-98 Mauser in 8mm Mauser (8X57) or any number of other great mauser designs in 7mm Mauser (7X57)? There were also a number of excellent 6.5mm rifles floating about in the War years and since.

For rabbits, maybe go with a 20 gauge shotgun.

JMHO
    Dave

9. AllWolf

Where I will be hunting deer would be in my back woods. There is all types of trees and farther out in the woods is a big opened field where I have seen already 8 to 10 running around playing. Now watch when it get's deer season will not see a one. I have heard wild turkeys in the back also but not sure how to hunt them because they are very smart birds. Maybe me raising chickens and other birds it bring them in closer..

I went to wal-mart lastnight but there not type of rifles in case. So I guess ither I have to find a pawn shop or order off the internet.. :shrug:

10. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

I would go with a 270 Rem riffle , but for the varmints I personally love my 410. have any question will answer with a PM . :angel:

11. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

depends a lot on the range you plan to shoot . I live in an area with a lot of heavy brush most shots are well within 100 yards . because of twigs and small limbs a 30-30 isnt a good choice as a twig can deflect the bullet easily . I shoot a lever action 44 mag saddle rifle not much kickand meets my states limits on min shell length and caliber for deer hunting.
    If I was in an open area where the normal shot range was in the 100-300 yard range I'd be inclined to gowith a 270 or something simular .
    when you get into the Long range shooting options are reduced Ive used a 375 mag for 6-800 yard shots but the thing kicks like a mule .
    That being said I havent seen any shots that couldnt be made within 100 yards if the hunter just waited a little longer .
    another option for close range deer hunting for a smallish person would be a 20 guage shot gun with slugs , the advantage is the slug doesn't carry far and when deer season is over you can use it for birds or other small game . There are states that no longer allow hunting with HP rifles do to the dangers of bullet travel.
    If I had to settle for one all round hunting firearm Id have to go with a god shotgun and enterchangeable chokes or barrels .

12. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

There's got to be a gunshop somewhere in the area you live, that way at least you'll be able to shoulder afew and see what feels right to you. some stocks might be too long for you, some too short. Maybe the gunshop might even have a range out back where you can fire some different weapons and calibers. Check your local newspaper's classified ads, local penny paper or merchantanidser. This is the time of the year whn you see the most guns advertised for sale. I personally used a Rem. 760 (pump) in 30-06 and it has taken plenty deer, anumber of bear, and a slue of varmits;good all around caliber.

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

AllWolf... Please take a Hunter Safety course even if it is not required by your state.

14. I'll put my 2 cents worth also.

I think it depends on how big the deer are in your area. Here in N.E. Oklahoma the average harvested deer weighs in at around 100 pounds. Being a former deer processer I've seen plenty of those deer killed with small calibers in the 243 range and I've seen a lot of wasted meat from being hit with the .30 calibers and larger. The 30 calibers are just almost too much gun for our little deer.

However, futher up north or to the west of us the deer weigh twice as much. I wouldn't want to take a chance at shooting bigger deer with the smaller legal calibers. I probably wouldn't hunt with anything smaller then a 30 caliber rifle for the bigger deer.

15. Va. goatman

Va. goatman Well-Known Member

I think that pyrodon is right Its hard to beat a good shot gun allthough I do most of my hunting with a handgun [use to be a cop]

16. AllWolf

I've already took a hunting course. I'm still trying to learn what kind of rifles I need to hunt with because even when I grew up my grandpaw gave me a rifle that would knock you on your butt. Gosh I hated that rifle. Now I finally got back into hunting I do most of it alone. But my DD will go with me when not in school other than that I alone.

I think I found me a good rifle have to wait til pay day to get it from a buddy of mine.