Guitar Pickers Both New and Seasoned :)

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by midwsthomestead, Dec 5, 2006.

1. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Hi Y'all :)

A recent thread about playing musical instruments showed me that there are quite a few guitar pickers out n about here on HT, so I figured this was a good place to ask my question/bring up discussion.

Do you 'read' music--meaning standard notation-- or do you read tablature? Both? Would you share with me which you prefer and why?

I LOVE my acoustic guitar, I'm shamelessly novice with it though, learning all the time. I learned tablature initially and it's served me well, but I've pondered if I might branch out and learn standard notation as well. Haven't found a 'need' for it, per se.

Do tell your habits!

~~

2. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I learned on standard notation 20 yrs ago and have not yet learned tab. I suppose I ought to but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Also have not had a need yet. I play with piano, bass, drums, violin, flute and singers (not all at the same time, but in and out) so it is nice to read the same music they read. That's basically the only way I've ever played so that's why I started that way and kept going that way.

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I have been playing music in one form or another (including the guitar) since I was about 15 years old (oh mercy, that would be 35 years!!!!). I have never been what you would call "proficient" but I play well enough to amuse myself, which is all I am after.

Being from a very musical family, I learned to read music at an early age. I find that doing so opens up a lot more options to me as far as types of music, etc., than not being able to read it. One day you might want to try other types of music or try learning another instrument (such as keyboards), and having the skill of reading will help you and make it easier.

Also, learning some theory is a good idea because it makes it easier for you to play by ear, understanding how notes, chords, key signatures, etc., relate to each other.

Music is a wonderful pastime!

donsgal

4. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

DH is a guitar teacher....taught this Polock !!! Anyhoo, his AWESOME secret is the

1 4 5 method
    You can just about play anything using this method - NO tab, NO reading music !!!
    The musical alphabet is A B C D E F & G then it starts over back to A......

Say you want to play a song in the Key of G.... We call G a 1. What then is the 4 & 5 ? Use your fingers !!! Thats it !!! The 4 is C and the 5 is D !! So, you play the song using G C & D !!!

NOW , play the same song but play it in the Key of A ........ A is now our 1. Back to your fingers........The 4 will be D, and the 5 is E !!!! Play the song now, using A D & E !

More advanced players - we then add the 2 & 6 . And go from there !!!

5. midwsthomestead

Ah, that's like transposing a tune into whatever key you want! I gotta get those chords down.....
    With tablature, I've managed to learn some cool riffs that keep me playing. I've not learned anything new in awhile, I'm ready!

Chime in folks, tab? chords? Tips n tricks?

~~

6. Miz Mary

I just grab songs I want to learn, google search the name and "guitar chords" and start playing it !!! It will just have the words and chords above it !!!
    www.roughstock.com has good songs
    www.chordie.com is good too

what kind of music do you play ?

7. midwsthomestead

Well...you name it lol. I've tinkered with stuff from Amazing Grace to the Judds' Mama He's Crazy to the opening riff of a great classic Police tune! 'Tinkered' bein' the operative word there, as I'm a music lover that has just barely begun with this guitar--that I bought THREE years ago! *shakin' head*

I've said this before n I'll say it again, I'm sure.... just strumming that axe, I can feel my blood sing, my soul soar....'s awesome.

~~

8. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

I just played chords so I could write and sing. All done by ear. Never learned to read music but wish I had. hey maybe its not too late huh? my entire family played instruments by ear. Piano, guitar, yuke....

9. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Good book for music theory, tips, etc esp for guitar:

Matt Smith's Chop Shop for Guitar

10. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey there MW HSTDR

Do you have a sheet showing all of the basic guitar chords? If not I can mail you a copy of one when we return to Maryland to celebrate Christmas.

Mine is from a guitar lesson book called "Alfreds Basic Guitar". Then of course there are some that show every chord imaginable.

Have you ever re-tuned your guitar to sound like a chord? One way is to tune the low E (6th string) down 2 frets to be D. At this point the 6th and 4th frets are the same note.

Leave the A string (5th string) , and the D string (4th string) as normal.

Tune the low E (1st string) down 2 frets to be a D note. Tune the B string down 2 frets to be an A.

Tune the G string (3rd string) down 1 fret to be an F sharp.

You now have a guitar that plays a D major chord when strummed.

NOTE- TABS WONT WORK WITHOUT MODIFYING THEM TO MATCH THIS TUNING, UNLESS THEY ARE WRITTEN FOR THIS TUNING!!!

You can play the D major chord by strumming with all strings open.

Place your index finger across the 5th fret (all strings), and you have a G major chord. 7th fret is an A major.

An even better way is to drop the G string (3rd) down 1 more fret to be an F note. Now the open 5th and 7th frets will be D minor, G minor and A minor.

Anytme you want a major chord with the minor tuning, just use your middle finger to raise the 3rd string one fret higher than the others (the other strings are open, or "barred" with the index finger).

Hope this makes sense! If not let me know. If you have any questions add them here or PM me. (We are off grid, so I don't get to log-in often).

Be Well,

Rick

11. midwsthomestead

Thanks for all your tips, everybody....keep sharing any you think of n those of you that havent posted, do so please!

Rick, yes I do have a some great paperwork showing the chord positions, some great tabs, lessons overall...thank you for all of your comments, I do appreciate 'em. I thank you much for your offer and I just might take you up on that question answering in the future!

Today that husband o' mine tells me he found a great guy to teach me face-to-face, I'm SO excited. We'd been looking, but I hadn't found anyone over 15 years old!! Turns out, a friend of my husband's f-i-l is more than happy to do some pickin' with me whoohooo! That's what I need most of all--face to face. We'll see how it goes!!

What I'm after here are any personal experiences, what you do and what you've run across that clicked, worked well, etc.

Thanks again for all your responses and please, share on!!

~~

12. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I play guitar. I read music (standard notation) but not when I play the guitar. I only do chords on the guitar.

When my son decided to start lessons, I found a teacher that would require that he learn to read music. I did that because it is a transferrable skill to any other instrument he might want to learn in the future. The notes and the theory behind music is the same no matter what the instrumentation.

He will also learn tableature, and specifically the "Nashville Number System" because his teacher works in "the biz" :rolleyes: in the Nashville area (long drive, but he is a good teacher).

Cindyc.

13. mamakat

mamakat Well-Known Member

I got a guitar last year for Christmas. I sure enjoy it. I learned to play piano first, so I mostly read standard notation. I like tablature, but it doesn't convey the rhythm of the song. Tablature does seem like it would be much easier for beginners to learn, though. Miz Mary - that was a neat way to explain music theory. When I took piano lessons it seemed like that simple concept was dragged out into several books...I guess the publishers make more money that way. I wish someone would have explained it that way to me in the beginning!

14. Miz Mary

He will also learn tableature, and specifically the "Nashville Number System" because his teacher works in "the biz" :rolleyes: in the Nashville area (long drive, but he is a good teacher).

WHAT IS THAT ?!?!??!

I was told a guitar is the same as piano - a piano layed down sideways !!!

15. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Some good tips here. I've been playing about 4 years, love it, love it, wish I'd started when I was young, but as long as I'm having fun, right? The best tip I can share is be sure to find someone to play with sometimes, doesn't matter if they are better or worse than you. I've seen people who can only play solos. I just know you can find someone else to play with, probably several people. And keep it fun!

16. midwsthomestead