guinne (sp) hen

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by celticfalcon, May 13, 2006.

1. celticfalcon

celticfalcon tom

not sure where to post this.we have 5 cats 1 dog.
    a guinne hen showed up 2 weeks ago. we dont want it. the cats will sit right next to it.
    i dont want to shoot it,unless i have too.animal controll wont take it.
    ive talked to the local farmers,(1 i grew up with) and its not theirs. no nest around i can find.
    so how do i get rid of it shy of shooting it?
    can they be caught?
    if this is in the wrong forum, please advise.
    thanx in advanced
    tom

2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

why get rid of it? they eat ticks

3. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

The poultry forum has LOTS of people who raise em. :)

4. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Not only do they eat ticks but fire ants. Also, they are the best watch dog you will ever have-very alert if you can put up with their "padracking" on moonlit nights. They usually roost in tall trees and owls love to hit them. Have lost many to owls-have taken out several owls also.

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

God blessed you with this creature and you want to shoot it? :shrug:

6. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

They also eat New Jersey's state bird--the "skeeter"...keep it! They make great guard dogs once they get attached to you--usually will let you know when someone is trespassing in your yard...

7. celticfalcon

celticfalcon tom

to rose.
    i dont want to shoot it.that is a last resort. i would just like info on how to capture it and take it somwhere.
    yes i do know some about them. i know that they are great gaurds. yes they do take care of the yard of certain pests.
    i dont/never inteded to kill it to eat or anything of the sorts. me and 3 of my4 daughters and my 2 sons are the only ones that eat anytype of venision.
    i just wanted some info.
    sorry if i offened you
    tom

8. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

I guess we are all wondering why you want to get rid of it? They are harmless creatures, and somewhat beneficial.

Your only hope of catching it will take some time on your part. You would need to start feeding it, and coax it to go into a barn or shed or something at night to roost. The only way to catch them is at night, when they are on their roost. Even then you have to be quick to grab them, and make sure you hold the wings down and don't let them get you with their claws, or they will tear you up!

9. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Celticfalcon, a lone guinea fowl hen will not likely last long left unprotected at night. Westwood will tell you otherwise, he had one that seemed to hang around for an eternity, calling for it's lost mates from daylight to dusk and beyond.

Whatever you do, do not grab a guinea by it's legs -- they are not like chickens and ducks in that regard. You will likely end up with a guinea with boken legs. The advise to hold it's wings and avoid their claws is good...except most people are surprised at how strong they actually are. And unlike chickens and ducks - they do not readily calm down once you have their wings in check.

Might be better to use a net, and have the cage at hand before you attempt to pick one up.

Just for the record, I've never had a flock who could keep up with the ticks in the Ozarks, and they will wipe out a bee hive it the hive opening is not protected from them.

Wish I was closer, I'd gladly go and recuse the hen.

Hugs
    marlene

P.S. If you do have to kill it, know that they are supposedly great eating -- as with everything else around here, I have never had the heart to actually slaughter and dress one for dinner later.

10. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

What's wrong with eating it?

Not everyone wants to have guineas. They're very noisy. I figure if she wanted guineas, she'd have bought some for herself. So if she doesn't want it, why shouldn't she eat it? I just don't get the hostility and the "god gave you this creature" BS???

And they're not all great guard animals. Ours don't give a whit if someone is in our yard.

11. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Get it used to seeing you with a landing net, and then snatch it up. I would just eat it.

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Guinea meat is all dark meat. I've eaten my share growing up. However, I also don't know why you don't want to get rid of it. While a bunch of guineas will make a bunch of noise one shouldn't be to bad. And more than likely since it just came up it will probably move on soon, especially if you don't feed it.

13. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

Relax there, chippy...there's nothing wrong with eating it but all I gave was my "IMHO". Yeah, I know you might not be specifically referring to me but no hostility exists from my end for you to "get" and certainly none of the "God gave you that creature" stuff coming from this heathen :)

Oh yeah, out of respect for others--please capitalize the "g" in 'God' when you are referring to the Christian God :baby04:

14. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

too bad you dont live near me....I'd take your guinea....somebody probably didn't want it anymore and didn't have the heart to kill it...saw you had animals at your place and figured this is as good as place as any to leave it.....get a few more and you'll never see any rats at your place....

15. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

Nothing's necessarily wrong with eating them, but nothing's wrong with keeping them around for pest control, either. Before I got guineas, I planted some fruit trees. The grasshoppers came along and ate all the leaves off the fruit trees. Then they started eating the bark. When they had eaten enough of the bark from around the twigs and branches, the trees died. Since I got the guineas, I haven't lost a single plant to the grasshoppers.
    BTW, I don't consider my guineas that noisy. Yes, they make noise sometimes, but most of the time they're quiet.

16. celticfalcon

celticfalcon tom

im sorry for offending anyone.i just wanted some info. i just wanted to get rid of it not in any hostil way. that would be a last resort.im sorry for posting
    thanx again
    tom

17. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

:)
    Tom, you did NOT do anything wrong, so no need to apologize. :)

18. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

Tom:
    I'm with Ark on this one.....you didn't do anything wrong.....some of the "people" on this forum are .....how shall we say......"protective" of THEIR birds/animals/livestyles......even if the item in question doesn't belong to them..... :nono: :flame:
    Where abouts in Michigan are you? Perhaps if you're close, I could swing by and have a look and if possible, capture it and try and unite it with my small flock of 5......you can pm (private message) me for your privacy and convenience.

copperkid3

19. celticfalcon

celticfalcon tom

i live outside of flint.i just feel like i started somthing that shouldnt have started?

20. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL...I don't think you started anything other than a lively conversation about guineas!