Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ours are wondering across the road to the neighbor's house. They haven't complained yet but I don't want to make my birds someone else's problem.
Do you think if I penned up a couple of the 7 birds that the rest will stay closer?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they wonder but we've got 6 acres. They've wondered into a field next to our property but for the past year, they've never ventured down the driveway AND across the road. I guess since they've added a few to the flock (2 of the babies are not so baby any more) then they've ate most of the bugs around here.

I spoke with the neighbor lady and she wasn't upset. She said her little toddler liked watching them. I'm glad for that but still want to try to pen some of them up. I've got a pen 10x8 with a roof that's tall enough to walk in.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
I have ten acres. The last bunch of guineas I raised never left the property... this current bunch are terrible for visiting my neighbors. I plan to go ask them if the birds are any problem. I don't believe they are, but if anyone complains I am going to pen them up and put several in the freezer. I have a few friends who have asked if I would raise some guineas for their freezer too.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
My Guins go visit my neighbor fairly often, but he loves them so it isn't a problem. He has cattle in the pasture next door to him, my Guins love the bugs the cows bring, so they go free range that pasture after the cows have been there.

We have 175 acres. One would think that was plenty to keep my birds home:) Doesn't keep my Peacock home, either, he goes in and out with my Guins:)

As far as keeping yours at home, try putting out some yummy snacks and treats on the far side of the property, away from the road and the neighbors. If you treat them everyday with their favorite yummy food, they should stay closer to home.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
They seem to like wide open spaces and green grass. Manicured lawns are perfect. I even had one wander into my picture window at a high rate of speed. Broke it's neck and the window at the same time. Guineas are so much fun.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
They seem to like wide open spaces and green grass. Manicured lawns are perfect. I even had one wander into my picture window at a high rate of speed. Broke it's neck and the window at the same time. Guineas are so much fun.
I have 23 that range out together. It's a hoot when they all come sailing back at high rates of speed when they think it's either dinner time, or there's a predator close to them. They look like bombardiers coming in for a raid! And the noise...crazy birds:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've tried penning guineas in a fenced area with a net over them (they were getting picked off) but they were miserable. They're made to guard and wander acres and acres, it part of who they are. I'm sure if you penned some, the ones who weren't penned would form their own flock and continue wandering.
So I don't really recommend penning them, I'd just let guineas be guineas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I pen my guineas at night. They wander just our place and love to hang out near the goats so it hasn't been an issue yet. At dusk they appreciate ready to go into their shed with covered yard. Keeping the coyotes out.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Mine haven't gotten onto the road yet but there is quite a distance to the road. I think they stay near the other livestock. They tend to make the same rounds everyday. First they clean up after the hogs, then scratch around the cows feed area, trek to the machine shed to terrorize the cats, then patrol which ever pasture the cows are currently in. This time of year they and the chickens have access to my garden so we see them in there.
The funniest thing is how nosey they are. They follow us around if we're working in their area, unless of course you look at them and then they pretend they're doing something else. They love to follow the hose when I'm rolling it up (snake?).

They always come back to the chicken house at night. They did that on their own from the time we started letting them roam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts