Guinea Fowl for garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countrymommy134, May 4, 2005.

1. countrymommy134

countrymommy134 Member

Do any of you use Guinea fowl to help keep the grasshoppers out of your garden?

If so, can you point me to a site or book that can get me started on getting some guinea to keep them out of my garden this summer?

Thanks!

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Wouldn't they eat the plants, too?

I don't keep any birds in my gardens, or anywhere I want the color green, for that matter...they eat enought bugs to make them scarce everywhere.

3. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

they will eat everything - im done with them.

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

You better think twice about guineas unless you live miles from anyone...they will travel anywhere and your neighbors will hate you! We went out to our bee yard yesterday and our neighbors (from about 1/2 mile away) guineas were in our woods! Heard a rustling and out they came from under a cedar tree. First day I see 'em in my garden they are soup...already told Donna who hates them but doesn't have the heart to kill them herself. They perch on the rafters in her barn and poop on her horses and she can't catch them DEE

5. countrymommy134

countrymommy134 Member

We are in a very rural area. I believe there will be 2 guineas already on the property that belonged to the previous owners. They are like neighborhood pets and everyone feeds them. I've always been told that they take care of the bugs in the garden without messing with the garden itself. Hmmm.

Thanks!