Guess what I did today?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by pookshollow, Dec 5, 2006.

1. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I drove a big yellow schoolbus for the first time! :dance: Did pretty good too, if I do say so myself. :rolleyes: It wasn't a whole lot different from hauling a horse trailer or driving our cube-van - just bigger. I even backed it up around a street corner - four times! The other woman that's training with me wouldn't attempt that today. Mind you, the biggest thing she's ever driven is her mini-van, so it's a lot different for her.

So, two and a half weeks of training, and I'll be a qualified bus driver. Perfect part-time job - Christmas, weekends and summers off. :)

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Good for you but I have to say, I think you're either brave or crazy. I couldn't imagine sitting with my back to some of the kids I've seen in the public school system :) Good luck driving a big yellow limo.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

pooks, big and yellow as that thing is, people will cut you off and act like your not hauling the precious cargo you are!. friend of mine runs a bus co. and swears that there are blind people driving the roads!! :flame: :flame: take care have fun and get a load of wood too hand split( bryce claims this calms him on the bad days) mucking would work too!! congrats on the new job! :dance:

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Remember, its only bigger than SMALL house!

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Good for you,I hear we need more drivers.

BooBoo

6. pookshollow

It's the Klingon Cloaking Device. Every vehicle I drive has one and do you think I can find the switch to turn it off? :grump:

I already know about the crazy drivers - I've observed them before I started driving a bus, and I don't expect them to drive any better around it!

I must say, though, this is a good time of year to be learning. So far we've had rain, wet snow, blowing snow, snow-covered roads, construction - when we get through all this, there won't be too much to faze us.

I'm still wondering where I'm going to park it. I don't think I've got room to turn it around, so I'll have to back it up our very loooong driveway - after I get it over the bridge.

7. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Make sure to wear earplugs and a bullet-proof vest yer 1st day on the job.....and ignore them SoccerMom's who want to have a 15 minute discussion with ya at the Bus Stop. Just load them ankle-biters on and hit the gas.....Good Luck!

Post an up-date here after a month OK.....we can take up a collection for yer nerve meds...... :p :p

8. pookshollow

You're on! :p

I'm not too worried - I have a pretty good "Sargeant-Major on Parade" voice that I use on the animals . . . "OY!"

9. rileyjo

rileyjo Well-Known Member

Congrats Pooks, I hope you have nerves of steel.

I don't know where you are but I drove in Muskoka for years. Lotsa hills, lotsa snow...I learned to be very appreciative of the township plow guys. It is truly the greatest job in the world but some days it is also the worst job in the world. I hope you love it as much as I do.

10. pookshollow

Oh, it won't be as bad as Muskoka! I'm just south of Brantford, hard by Six Nations - the bus yard is just outside of Paris. We've got hills, but lots of flat land too - tobacco country.

11. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

My wife drove one for years. She had almost no trouble with the kids and she demanded a lot from them as far a behavior. She was not very big but that really doesn't mater, she was all of 5' 2" (and yes her eyes were kinda blue anyway). She always treated the kids and their parents with respect. They did learn not to cross her though. Kids will sometimes mistake kindness as weakness, she was very kind and they found out that she wasn't a weak person.

She has had people go through her lights and get angry when she had to stop for kids. Nobody wants to be behind a school bus so they pull out in front of you to be ahead so they can get on their way. I have the same thing in my semi. I have people pull out in front of me all the time. I haul grain and we load to our full legal weight all the time but I don't think people realize that as heavy as we run that we can't stop on a dime.

Anyway have fun and force the school to stand behind you. My wife always said that she couldn't work anywhere that would pay her as much as she got for the amount of hours she worked. And the benifit of having the days off that you get are great. I hope all goes well for you. Vic

12. pookshollow

Thanks, Vic.

The company I'll be driving for has an excellent reputation - very, very safety conscious, over and above what is "required". We get 35 hours of training - 20 on the road, and 15 in the classroom.

I hear you! When I'm pulling a horse trailer, I have the same thing - although I'm not as heavy as a transport, I don't want to have to slam on the brakes and knock my horses off their feet. I'm always nice to the truck drivers (I did dispatch for a while too) - I let them in front of me whenever possible, and I almost always get a light flash or a wave. I figure if I've made one truck driver's day a little more pleasant, it may prevent an accident down the road. And when I am pulling a trailer, I can guarantee that it will be a truck driver who will let me into traffic, almost never a car driver.