Guess it's time to visit the vet!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My poor Tom (Black Lab mix) started shaking his head and scratching at one of his ears last night. I can't see a thing wrong with it. He was up all night flapping those ears and rolling on the floor. I got up before daylight and cleaned it with some ear solution, but it hasn't helped. I'm afraid he's got something down in his ear canal. It's driving him and me both crazy! Neither one of us got much sleep last night.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Could be Ear Mites. It might take a vet visit and professional flush to cure this effectively.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

There is a tick they can get in their ear, and it can go to their brain if not removed, if I'm remembering right. If you have cattle, they are more likely to be around.

4. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Watch out for ear hemotomas. Easily happens with larger ears like on a lab. The layers of skin separate and develop blood clots between, itches like mad, and dog will surely shake his head a lot. Surgery is needed to drain the hemotoma. Really pretty common, so it's not too terrible.
    Keep us posted.

5. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Yep! Go see the doc! There is probably something down in there like a weed seed, foxtail whatever. If Tom keeps the behaviour up you will be looking at real problems as he's apt to come up with a hematoma which is a blood leak between the layers of the external ear flap and then you have real troubles!

Some dogs can be coaxed to stay still while the doc looks down there with a scope and light, but others are so sore they need to be sedated.

Good luck with him..hope all is well...LQ

6. Ravenlost

Yeah...we learned all about hematomas last year with one of our cats. Casper had to have surgery.

Tom's a very mild-mannered fellow. I don't think it's sore enough to require sedation, but it is driving him nuts. We were clearing out brush, etc. off the pond dams yesterday and I'll bet that's where he got something in his ear. The problem just started suddenly.

I don't think it's ear mites. There's no discharge and his ears are clean as a whistle. We don't have any cattle yet, but I have gotten two ticks off one of the other dogs recently. You'd think they wouldn't be picking up ticks in late December! :(

This reminds me of my son-in-law. When he and my daughter got married this past May we tossed birdseed instead of rice. That night he told my daughter he thought he got birdseed in his ear. Well, they left the next morning for their honeymoon in Mexico and he forgot about his ear. A couple weeks ago he had a sinus infection and went to the doctor. The doctor asked him if he knew he had birdseed down in his ear! It was removed and he has no permanent problems from carrying birdseed in his ear canal for over seven months!

7. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

Sounds like the start of an ear infection. Best bet is the visit to the vet to rule out the possible causes.

Kim inMi

8. Ravenlost

ACK...our vet's office is closed today! Poor Tom will have to wait until Monday. We'll keep a close eye on it and flush it out daily with the cleaning solution. I'm not sure I want to sleep with him tonight though. He kept me up all night last night. Poor fellow.

9. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Good Grief! Let's not get so fatalistic...

How about trying a combination of veggie oil and campho phenique. Put a few drops in, rub so it will go in deep. Do this for ten days, then once a month thereafter. (This also works on rabbits) With EARMITES. (You CAN use just the oil if the Campho is not available.)

If it's earmites, this will get rid of them and keep them away. You should notice a difference in a couple of days in the dog's behavior.

10. Ravenlost

I'm not sure who was being fatalistic, but Tom seems much better this evening. No ear shaking. :D Hopefully whatever was in his ear has dislodged.

11. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Hopefully, that's alot cheaper.

12. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

I meant that some of the suggestions were beyond what appears necessary at this point! :):) Try the ear mite cure I suggested, and wait and see; that's all I meant. :D

13. Ravenlost

LOL...I thought YOU thought I was planning on getting rid of Tom when I said I couldn't sleep with him in the bedroom again. :p

He's fine. I guess over the weekend we were able to flush out whatever was bothering him. No vet visits for now. I tend to over react when my pets aren't 100 percent. I once took a cat to the vet and all he'd done was knock the breath out of himself!