guerilla gardeners

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fordson major, Aug 17, 2006.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

any body here tried to help their comunities like this? :cool: sneak into unused and ugly areas and plant flowers to preaty it up? :rolleyes: we are looking at doing this with some city owned areas round us next year ,hand full of sunflowers and a dose of filed peas! :dance: any other ideas on some robust plants that need little care wont run off and will preaty up the neighbourhood? :help:

2. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

I haven't done it but someone planted some tulips by the freeway years ago and there's a couple thousand there now.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes. Unfortunately, the mowing at precise times kept anything from doing well. A couple of years ago I tossed Rudbeckia seed at the end of our property, near the tree line (backs up to neighbor's woods). THis year, the flowers are glorious! And it looks as though I went in there and planted a garden row of black eyed susans. I'm very pleased.

Which kind of sunflowers? The shorter perinniels would be nice near the edge, and the tall annuals in the back. I'm sure they'd self seed. Rudbeckia should do well. I'm seeing them everywhere here along the roads. Echinecia also. Are those native where you are? Tiger lily.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

If you want to cover a lot of space use a bag of birdseed, the sunflowers all do well and it costs a lot less.

5. marcir

marcir Well-Known Member

My trick is to throw my left over-garden seed into a fast river in a wilderness area. I can't help imagining a bear eating riverbank peas.
    Marci