Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.naturalnews.com/046816_Monsanto_Law_GMOs_Guatemala.html

(NaturalNews) New legislation dubbed the "Monsanto Law" has been roundly rejected by activist groups and citizens in Guatemala, who argue that it has put the nation's food security and farm economy in jeopardy.

The law, formerly called "Law for the Protection of New Plant Varieties," was approved by the Guatemalan congress June 10, but has been widely panned since. Supporters say it is designed to protect the intellectual property of plant breeders who were deemed to have "created" or "discovered" new plant varieties, or who have genetically modified existing varieties.

The law effectively permits "breeders" -- which are typically biotech giants like Monsanto -- to obtain property rights over the use of plant varieties, in the form of both plants and seeds.

Violates the rights of indigenous peoples

In a new report, the activist organization CER Ixim warned about the consequences of the "Monsanto Law." The group said that, under the new law, the possession or exchange of seeds of protected varieties without the owner's consent will be illegal and could lead to jail sentences for violators.

In addition, noted CER Ixim, it will be illegal to possess any harvest from such seeds or to save them for future plantings. The law goes on to say that a breeder's rights extend to "varieties essentially derived from the protected variety." That also means a hybrid produced from a covered variety after crossbreeding with an uncovered variety is automatically covered under the law as well.

The group said the new law promotes privatization and seed monopolization, which is a danger to food sovereignty, especially for indigenous peoples. And the group's report warned that the country's biodiversity will now fall "under the control of domestic and foreign companies."

The law, known as Decree 19-2014 in Guatemala's law books, is the result of a process stemming from the 2005 signing of a free-trade agreement between Central American countries and the U.S., the Central America Free Trade Agreement, or CAFTA. Under terms of that pact, Guatemala is bound to abide by the International Convention for the Protection of New Plant Varieties agreement.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well....if M wants their seed rights...........then why can't they fix it where I'm not scared to plant my old OP corn, when neighbors plant GM Roundup Ready corn,,because I'll lose the purity of my corn....plus if I save seed from my corn , after cross pollenation..........if my corn had RR traits I could potentionally be in court..
I believe that one of the most damaging occurrences to our nations security was the loss of rural America like it was.
I also believe this GM mess is a Pandoras' Box......time will tell

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Consider how this came to pass ...

Politicians in the city not representing the rural population voted in support of Monsanto. Why? Do you think it's perhaps because Monsanto lined some pockets?

Then the rural people and activists "soundly rejected" this law.

What does that mean? The article sort of implies that the law is no longer law, but what do you think happens in the United States (another banana republic) when the citizens reject a law that the politicians enforced?

Right now, mercenaries are being used to enforce federal law in California and seize private fields where medical marijuana is grown LEGALLY under California law. Think about that a moment ... the federal government is paying Blackwater-style agencies to have masked and heavily armed men swoop down and burn private fields of legal crops.

I've been saying for years it would come to this, but Ma and Pa Good Citizen won't so much as raise a cry of protest about it because marijuana is for dirty hippies (and cancer patients, and glaucoma sufferers, and wounded war veterans).

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Watch out Ernie. When you post something about Blackwater style mercenaries folks will start whispering about your mental stability. Wouldn't want to be trampled by lemmings who think you are delusional.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts