Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love pigs. Had a pet potbelly. I have a Pyrenees and a couple Akbash guardian dogs. Guarding sheep and goats. I was thinking about adding an in-tact boar to the mix. Not sure if it would be able to help defend or if it would just flee and draw more predation.

What do you guys think, is there a place for a permanent male boar resident as a guardian on a farm. I'm thinking the squeal could be an extra alarm? The tusks are definitely weapons. In tact males are quite stubborn.

I wouldn't want my dogs and pigs fighting though. Since pigs are herd animals they really want to know their place, and if it pushes the dogs too hard it might not turn out well. Definitely don't want a dog or goat getting gored either.

Anyone experimented with LGD and boar combo?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, no wild pigs just deer, elk, moose, mountain lion, bear, coyote, wolf. I know they root around a lot. I know they will go the distance to get to the food including busting through plywood lol.

·
Registered
847 Posts
No, no wild pigs just deer, elk, moose, mountain lion, bear, coyote, wolf. I know they root around a lot. I know they will go the distance to get to the food including busting through plywood lol.
Then why would you get a "guard" pig at all? You already know it will break into your chicken pens other animal pens, for their food, get into feed bins, break stuff to do it, break waterers and water lines, harass your dogs, and all kind of other neat tricks pigs do.
It sounds like you KNOW this already. Why would you even consider it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you suggesting you can tame a boar enough to be able to do this? Sound like your in the North like me. We have similar predators, Im in Maine, if I had to guess by your list id say maybe Minnesota?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you suggesting you can tame a boar enough to be able to do this? Sound like your in the North like me. We have similar predators, Im in Maine, if I had to guess by your list id say maybe Minnesota?
High rockies Colorado. I just like Pigs, so smart and affectionate. My hope is I could train once they establish herd hierarchy. I have a 40 area area for it. Maybe it is unrealistic.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,783 Posts
Yes. Unrealistic.

A Missouri neighbor with 80 acres free ranged American heritage hogs of some sort. They ravaged the deer food plots belonging to the guy across the county road.

Folks started thinning the herd.

We had a neighborhood pig slaughter, and processed 15 in one day.

That wasn’t all of them.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Certain breeds might suit you moreso than others, but my opinion is that all livestock needs a like kind companion, so two. Personally, I have no need to feed another animal that provides a low return on investment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife is thankful for all your negative replies hahah. Maybe I am too. I know it was wishful thinking. I already have birds, sheep, goats, big dogs, garden, two kids. Adding a pig is more work and even less streamlined chores.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,854 Posts
Hogs have also been known to kill and eat other livestock. Especially poultry and female goats and sheep that have recently delivered or were just in milk. Not all pigs but it is on the table for possible issues mixing pigs with other livestock

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
If you want a pig for a pet, get a mini and build it a little pig house where it is contained and under control. Get a castrated male if all it is used for is a pet.

I like pigs. They are smart and full of personality, but they need appropriate care.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts