Guard llama

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Barb Marks, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Barb Marks

Barb Marks Active Member

We were given a free llama as a guard animal. The guy who gave him to us didn't know how old it was(that's strange Huh!) and he didn't know what sex it was.(that's even stranger) We took it home and put it with our goats. We don't know if it is a boy or a girl(haven't been able to get close enough to crawl under there). If it is a boy I know he needs his little nutsy wutsys cut off. The question is can you use an elastrator band or do you got to slice them off with a knife??( I mean surgically remove them). anybody ever castrated a llama that can tell me?

2. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Male llamas mature at age three but they recommend doing the deed at 18 months to two years old (not before 18 months). We had our vet. do it surgically with a local anesthesia. Each testicle needs to be done separately. If he is older and has been breeding he may still try to breed after gelding.

I couldn't find much on aging a llama but:
    "In general, the permanent central incisors erupt at 2-1/2 years, the middle incisors at 3 to 3 1/2 years, and the last or corner incisors at 4 to 6 years. The fighting teeth erupt at 2 to 7 years, witn average being 2 1/2 years."

Hope that helps, now you just have to catch him/her :haha:

3. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

Here is the best site I have found for llama information so far:
    http://personal.smartt.com/~brianp/page01.html

I recently purchased my first llama at a goat auction. He is a yearling. The auctioneer said that he was a male, but I have yet to see any indication of that, other than his sheath. I have not seen the family jewels. From information I have found on the net, I understand that they are not as large in a llama when compared to other livestock (goats, cattle, etc.), but I would have thought that I could see something. Does anybody have experience in this area?

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

A llama's testies are located toward the rear, like a male cats.. even at a few months old you should be able to see them..

5. trickham

Ah well, I probably purchased a gelding then. :rolleyes: So much for future breeding possibilities. His main purpose is to guard the goats though. After perusing the site that I posted a link to earlier, I have become interested in some of the various uses for llamas. At a later date I will probably purchase more of these fascinating creatures. :)

Thanks for the info,

Nick

6. Stacy Adams

You wouldn't want to use an intact male as a guard, they've been known to break the backs of goats trying to breed them.. I think I'll stick with my Pyr!! :cool:

7. trickham

I would love to have a few LGDs, but my herd isn't large enough, nor do I have a bad enough predator problem to justify the expense at this point.

Stacy, where is Blue Ridge located? Mapquest gave two locations in TX.

Nick

8. Stacy Adams

Hey Nick, I would be the Blue Ridge in Collin county.. we're one county away from Oklahoma and I think it's actually quicker to get to Oklahoma than it is to Dallas.. less traffic!
    I have 8 goats, 3 wethers (one to go in the freezer) and 5 does.. I got tired of worrying about them whenever I heard the coyotes close, or them hollering in the middle of the night.. I guess I was lucky, I got him for $50 dollars, unregistered, and his sire and dam were both working dogs on a Boer goat ranch.. he was born in the goats barn and had goat berries stuck to him when I first saw him :haha:
    and I soon learned that no ammount of yelling or threatning to remove his hide, when he was misbehaving, was as effective as locking him away from the goats.. I think he would rather be strung up than locked away... but he's now 10 months old and just a great dog..

Edited to say, that my sister raises llamas and that's how I know a bit about them.

9. trickham

Stacy,

You aren't too far from my brother over in McKinney then. I live about 4.5 hours to the SW near Brownwood. I currently have 18 Boer and Boer X goats, and I am working on expanding that herd, although I'm having to do it on a shoestring budget. I have read a bit about LGD's, especially a book about goats and dogs written by a woman who lives in OK. She has Anatolian Shepherds. I have become a big fan of LGD's. I will definately be purchasing some when the goats can pay the feed bill for them.

10. Stacy Adams

Yea, I know all about those shoestring budgets!!
    Yea, I'm not far from McKinney at all..!! you'll have to come by for a visit :) after of course you've visited your brother.. :haha:

11. trickham

Sounds like a great idea. :) I'll let you know next time I head up that way.

Nick

12. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Just thought I would note that male llamas can move testicles closer or further away from the body to maintain optimal temperature. One of my books states not to panic if your male appears to have no testicles on a cold day or during a moment of extreme apprehension!

Another interesting thing is that males urinate towards the back, so you might think it is a female at first unless you are really looking :eek:

13. trickham

JAS,

Well, I've had this llama for about 5 weeks now, and I have yet to see anything. I still haven't managed to get more than about 10' away from him though. :rolleyes: One of these days I will get a halter on him and then have me a good look. :D

Thanks for the thought!

Nick

14. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Trickham,

I should have a litter of 7/8th Anatolian, 1/8 great pyr puppies in late summer if you can wait that long. Cost won't be great and they are out of wonderful working stock currently with sheep and goats, and cattle by summer.

Be careful if someone tries to get you to adopt out of a rescue. Many times they are in the rescue because they are not animal friendly. We have a local rescue started by some friends who got interested in Anatolians because of my big male. They put their dogs with their goats to find out if they are safe with, and will protect stock. Phone number on request via PM if interested.

15. trickham

YuccaFlatsRanch,

How much do full-grown dogs like that eat?

Nick

16. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

I've got a male llama that has been used as a breeding male...

I've yet to see his testicles... (not that it's my purpose in life to see his testicles)...

He's too fuzzy!! LOL. And I KNOW he still has them... I reckon you'll have to restrain your Yama to take a good look. He/She won't like it much, but sell tickets and pop popcorn!!

17. trickham

I finally got a halter and lead on him yesterday. Boy, was that an experience. :rolleyes: I was too freaked out afterwards to even think about taking a good look at him. Now I've got one MAD llama on my hands, intact male or not. :haha:

18. Stacy Adams

Yea, that's why I'll keep my (lovable) goaties and let my sister keep the Llamas.. :yeeha:

19. trickham

LOL

He has calmed down a bit since yesterday. He will be my test llama. I can see great things in the future with llamas. Packing, cart pulling, maybe even light garden tilling. Of course, the right goat could do those things too. I bet my big Boer buck could do some damage if hooked to a cultivator. :D

Nick

20. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

NIck,

Each one of my Anatolians eats 1 bag of dog food a month....that is one very large bag of course <smile> But when you consider the size of these dogs, they actually don't eat any more or less then a Labrador or German Shepherd.

If you butcher you can cut the commercial food down quite a bit by feeding the leftovers or raising an extra one for the dogs.

It has been my experience that llamas are great when you have good fences and once in awhile a neighbors dog gets loose. They are not able to handle a pack of coyotes, mountain lion or a raccoon coming for chickens. What I find interesting is the large llama and Alpaca farms all have LGD's to protect them.