guard donkey

Discussion in 'Guard Animals' started by chickenguy, Mar 22, 2017.

1. chickenguy

chickenguy Member

depending on what you are trying to keep out my mini donkey is awesome no stray cats dogs fox raccoons coyotes etc. she is an equal opportunity snob she runs them all off

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

When I had sheep I also had two mini donkeys. They did a terrific job.

3. Joygirl15

Joygirl15 New Member

I know this is off topic. My neighbor recently got a guard donkey (Jenny) for his cows. It looks like she is bonded with them really well. But I'm a sucker for donkeys, and I bribed her to come over to me and take a carrot from my hand. It's been a while, but she lets me pet her side now. But sometimes she raises her ears and runs away for no apparent reason. She's very sweet and makes the cutest faces. But I'm wondering if I'm hurting her guarding skills? If not, any tips for her to be more comfortable around me?

4. chickenguy

chickenguy Member

donkeys are alot smarter than they let on. get on all fours and run at a cow and see what she does! Kidding dont it wont end well! you are not doing her any disservice by socializing her to people

Joygirl15 likes this.
  5. Joygirl15

Joygirl15 New Member

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I keep almost getting two burros to put in with my goats but I worry about the care and handling of such a large animal as I have only a tiny experience with horses.

7. aoconnor1

aoconnor1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have found that my mini mules are much better at predator control than my donkeys are. My donkeys won't run a dog off, but my mini mules don't care what dog it is, it gets run off immediately, including my ranch dogs! Mini mules are fierce fighters, they hate predators.