Guarantee gofer, and mole ELIMINATOR

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Feb 23, 2004.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

:yeeha: The best luck that I have found that beats the best of any trap, are any type of labor is to get a young tom cat. I have had two of them, one got run over, and the other turned up missing in the middle of the day (suspious). I was overrun with moles, and gophers. After a couple months with a cat, my yard was clean, no sign of either. Both cats were males, I read on this forum that others had good luck with males. Not to say that females won't do it, cause I don't know. Because of the problem of getting attached with the cats in town, and loosing them, I'm going to get another for the farm.

2. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I got rid of all the cats except for the best old mouser and got a Jack Russel terrier. I no longer stick my hands in catstuff while planting the garden.

No more rodents in the haystack or feed room. This dog is finally getting over her aversion to having dirt on her nose so I expect the moles, voles and mountain beavers to be gone soon. I still have far fewer dirt mounds than anyone else for miles around.

3. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

Laura: I don't know anything about a J.R. Terriers, but if they will go after moles, and gophers, I might need me one since I'm not having to much luck keeping cats. Please let us know if he does the trick for you.

4. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

i've got a really, really hyper rat terrier - scared to death of mice, rats, moles - wants to eat up my german shepherd tho - i believe he's a bit unbalanced

5. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

If you check with a breeder who raises JRTs as hunting and working dogs, you can get a guaranteed killer.

It seems both Joan and I got stuck with AKC "pet quality" jackrats. Mine hates dirt on her nose and is afraid of the dark. She will latch on to anything 100 times her size and not let go, as long as it is above ground. I will be training her with live rats this week. I'm gonna let her see it then send it down a vole hole. SHE BETTER CATCH IT!!!!

6. GaitedRider

GaitedRider Member

My Scottie and Westie due the jobs quite nicely.... I just hate picking up their mess afterwards... They take out everything from mice to possums... They love to go to ground.

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

My Bichone/Pommeranian mix spent this past weekend, dranched by the rain, digging up rat holes under the jade plant, when he couldn't get any further, he ploppeed down beside his mess and just barked and barked and barked. I hope he gave those rats as big a headache as he gave me.

He, my poodle and my border collie all go after rats, mice, gophers, crows and hawks. What more could you ask for??