Grundig radios

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Horsepower, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Horsepower

Horsepower Member

Has anyone used a Grundig FR200 hand crank radio? Are they any good? Worth the $40? Don't like buying batteries and don't need a radio often where there is no elec.

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have a Grundig hand crank and yes, they work!

Now I would have preferred spending, say $20 for it. But I'm cheap. :haha:

That said, I don't use it often, but it has really come in handy a few times. Once, for example, power went off and there were tornadoes around. Also used it while working in a house that had had a fire and had no power. And it's the only radio here that will pick up certain stations so, if I just HAVE to hear something, I use the Grundig.

3. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a Summit Freeplay that can be cranked, use batteries or solar. It's a nifty little radio that gets AM, FM and SW.

Karen in NE Indiana

4. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

We also have a crank-powered Grundig, and love it! good reception, small size...we use it around the house, and plan on taking it camping when we go! It has come in handy during power outages, for sure!!!

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have a Freeplay hand crank shortwave that is fair. I paid $20 for it new. Which is about right. You can hear it turn almost as loud as the radio itself when it is on (after charging with cranking) so that annoys me. A fair back up, but I almost never use it.

Now, my Grundig YachtBoy400 with battery power is my preferred portable radio. Runs great on AA batteries and lasts a long time for my use. Shortwave, AM/ FM, alarm, radio pre-sets, ability to use a cord if needed, can attach an antenna, uses earphones, all things that come in handy for me and a better deal for me since I actually use it because I like it.

I think it is worth checking into the battery option Grundig radios. Just my 2 cents.

6. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

where can u get these, they sound pretty cool and wouldn't require the extra expense of batteries!

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I got mine at Big Lots, but Cheaperthandirt.com usually has them.

8. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I have one and like it, mine has the solar on it so it doesn't always have to be cranked. The only downside is when it is cranked and I want to listen to something like classical you get the clicking sound of teh crank winding down, but I usually use it for NASCAR so it doesn't really bother me.

9. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

L.L.Bean has them for $40.