Grrrrrrr!!!! Bindweed! It's taking over!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by coventry49, Jun 6, 2006.

1. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    How do you get rid of this stuff, short of a nuclear blast? It's taking over my garden, my flower beds, my yard.

The geese would eat the bindweed when it was small, but as it grows, it gets a strong odor and they lose interest.

I finally gave up and tried Roundup on the evil stuff, right in the front of my house, (where all I have is some pine bark mulch covered with bindweed- no plants) but it didn't seem to affect it.

Any help?

-Barb in Montana

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

What's the temp. been there? Has it been cool? We have found at work, that Roundup only seems to work when the weather is warm, the hotter it is, the better the results!

3. emulkahi1

emulkahi1 Well-Known Member

Barb--

I also had a bad case of bindweed in my garden when I started out with it four years ago. We made the mistake of tilling it, and spread it all over the place! This year though, I don't think I've seen even one sprout.

Accomplished this by just pulling it religiously for a couple of years. At first, it was a big problem...coming up in my paths, around my veggie plants, etc. I will admit, it was the bane of my existence. But every single time one little green bindweed nub pushed a leaf above ground, I yanked it out...with as much of its root as I could get. If (and usually when) it resprouted, I pulled it again...and again. Eventually, I guess it just gave it up--lol :dance:. Granted, my garden is on the smaller side (20x20), and we do not have a yard, so it was probably easier for me to keep up with than it would be for you.

But, that's what worked for me. Didn't have to use any chemicals, just some sweat equity. It IS terrible all over town though (we're just up the road from you, I think...in Roundup). I see the white flowers everywhere. Good luck with it!!!!

Erin :)

4. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

We are infested with it also. A couple of weeks ago in the gardening section of our paper, the writer suggested a new product that he had tried and it worked for him.

It is called "Weed Free Zone" by ferti-lome.

Round-up has been totally useless on our bindweed so I found the Weed Free Zone at our local nursery and tried it. So far it is working! But I am only using it on the lawn since it is a chemical and I don't want that in the garden area. Will have to continue with just pulling it from there. But at least, the yard is under control.

5. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    Like you, I won't put the chemicals in or near my garden - will just have to deal with the bindweed the hard way, I guess, by hand-pulling it. (Oh, my poor back! :stars: )

But for my front yard and flower bed there, I think I'll try that "Weed free zone" stuff. Thanks for the info.

-Barb in Montana

6. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

There are a number of weeds in our yard that are attempting a take-over. I have crown vetch just everywhere. Technically, it is not a weed but I hate and I could just throttle the person that thought is was a good plant for erosion control.

I have literally stripped on garden of all the good plants and sprayed roundup and it came back. This time I am going it invest in a weed flamer. We will be able to keep the weeds out of the stone walkway, get rid of the vetch and the weeks in the paths of the garden.

Now, if I can only find one and convince my DH.

7. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Cover it with clear or black plastic....It will brun it up..End of problem..idontno

8. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Roundup will work REALLY WELL on bindweed -- but it needs to be sprayed on in September. At that point, it will be drawn down into the root and kill the entire plant. It will take about a month to show any effect, but then everything will turn yellow and the plant will disappear forever.

If you spray in the spring or early summer, the plant is growing outward and not drawing in, and the tops may burn off but will not affect the root. Once it's flowering well and starting to set seed, it can be successfully sprayed with Roundup.

We usually try to keep it pulled until fall, when we can spray.

9. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

What is bindweed anyway?

kids

10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Invest in goats or sheep! Ours love it!

Bindweed is a noxious weed that can literally take over, but it has really pretty flowers and gives off a wonderful scent when it's blooming. We have it but the animals keep it under control in the pasture and I just deal with it in the garden. It's one of those pests that I really like...I hate those darn weeds that take over that nothing will eat and are incredibly ugly and have no redeeming value! THOSE are what get to me.