GRRR - Need bumper suggestions!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by RandB, Dec 18, 2005.

1. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

DH drives a 1990 Ford Taurus sedan as his back & forth to work car. Last summer, somebody rear-ended him coming off the freeway, smashed in the rear bumper. It took some looking, but he was able to find another bumper in the junkyard to replace it. They are getting scarce since the car is older.

Well, in the past week, he got rear-ended again, TWICE !!!! Stupid city drivers :grump: :grump:

The bumper (plastic crap) is broken - AGAIN -- Now we have to go looking for another one again, we have to replace as car is due for inspection soon.

Does anybody have any ideas of how to beef up one of these plastic bumpers so they don't shatter so easily? He'd rather see the jerk that hits him get the damage, instead of him !!!! Personally I'd like to put cement in it, but that would probably make it too heavy.

2. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

A bundle of road flaresand a clock taped to the bumber may make them think twice about getting close. :rolleyes: Cops may be a problem tho.

3. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

Why are you paying for the bumper?? If you got hit in the rear then it is the other driver's fault and they should be the ones paying to fix your car, not you!!! If they don't stop that's hit and run, all you need is to get the tag number and call the cops. I just don't understand why YOU would be paying to fix the car?

Buck

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

a piece of 4" square, quarter inch thick, steel tube,
    would replace the bummper nicely, I would really doubt he ever need to replace it again in a rear ender,

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I agree, but some states have a "no fault" law. you cant get a penny, or very little from the person at fault. you have to insure your own car, and have your own insurance fix your truck. or car as it were

6. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

The first time it happened in the summer, there was also damage to the back of the car. That time, he did get money from the other guy.

This time, he said he was so angry he was afraid of what he might do to the other person, besides which he didn't want to wait an hour or so for a cop to take a report, etc..., so he didn't stop. I know he should have, but its done now. So far, cannot locate a junkyard with another bumper...

7. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

i would go with the steel pipe!

8. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

The biggest problem is obvious: "New Jersey".
    The second problem is: "1990 Ford Taurus sedan".

The ideas for a real steel bumper are good ... except I'll bet the laws regarding vehicle inspection in that state prohibit the installation of anything like that on a regular passenger car. You can probably do it on a pickup though.

Most decent auto salvage yards are connected by voice lines and computers in a network. If one yard has to order a part they don't have from another yard (and pay the shipping), their profit margin goes way down ... therefore there's little incentive for them to look very hard.

You can probably find numerous on-line salvage yards through your favorite search engine - and since they have an on-line presence, you'll probably be able to order one direct from one of them.

Have you checked eBay? (eBay Motors section.)

(Rear bumper on a Ford Taurus should be UPS shippable.)

9. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

You might want to check www.junkyarddog.com. It is a network of salvage yards that operate via mail order. You submit a request for a part, and yards that have it will e-mail you quotes. I have had good luck with them in the past.

10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

http://www.car-part.com. Just did a search of the junk yards in your general area and came up with several pages of rear bumper listings.

Ugly but effective is a stout board. Not always legal mind you. I prefer a board over a pipe because of the inherent spring of wood. They bounce superbly, having no damage. Ugly, effective, and not always legal.

11. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I know a guy who worked the oilfields and their fleet of trucks all had a 6" pipe bumper with ends welded on, then they were filled with 120 psi air. They had a hose in each rig to blow out filters or pump up flats. It sounded like a great idea. And it would look perfect on a NJ Taurus.