Growth on Polydactyl cat's foot?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Wildfire_Jewel, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

6-8 months ago our 5 yr old indoor nuetered male cat had a toe removed due to a growth (he is a Polydactyl so had a few to spare :) ). It went unnoticed until he caught it on the nail next to it and was leaving bloody footprints thru the house. It almost appeared as if the pad had "burst" and when we finally noticed it it smelled. The vet assured us that they had taken all of it out. I am guessing they missed some because I noticed another growth on the same foot but it is on the big middle pad. It is again bloody and appears like it has "burst" out of the pad. Have any of you heard of something like this? What should we ask the vet as far as further testing? This time it is not going to be an easy removal as it is quite far back on the foot. I am thinking they may need to remove the whole foot :( This is by far the favorite cat in the household and he is my constant companion. If I get up, he follows. He is almost as bad as the dog!! :) I am hoping it is not as bad as what I am thinking it will be. I have lost too many pets to cancer!
    Melissa

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I worked at a vet office for many years. Once I saw what you describe. It looked like fleshy cauliflower tring to get out through the foot. It looked horribly painful. The vet tried repeatedly to "repair" the foot but it never got better. My suggestion would be a biopse, have it cleaned, bandaged, and an elizabethan collar till the lab figures this out. If it is something that leaves the cat with one less foot, its sad, but he will recover. Animals have an amazing way of coping.

3. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

Can you post a photo so I can have a look?

Free vet advice! Don't pass it up!

Don't remove any more body parts until I have a look. One possiblilty is what we call pododermatitis. The paw pads get all soft and pillowy and can break open.

4. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Almost sounds like a Plantars Wart.

5. Wildfire_Jewel

http://www.msnusers.com/saxonyducks/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=74[img]
    I am not sure if that will work or not....Fist time posting pics on here. If it doesn't go to [url]http://www.msnusers.com/saxonyducks/shoebox.msnw[/url] and it is the last picture in the group. I took about 5 pics but this is the only one that was clear at all. My camera doesn't do closeups very well and he DID NOT like me holding him down :grump: We call him our grumpy old man because of his temperment. He crabs at you all the time when you walk too close to him or need to walk overhim. Of course it would help if he didn't have to be constantly under foot!
    Thank you very much!!
    Melissa
    Nope guess it didn't work...will have to figure that out later...I did want to add that his pads are VERY soft to the touch.

6. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Nope, thats not what I remember. This thing was big and looked like globs of raw flesh buldging from the foot. Havent seen what youve got there
    SORRY=(

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

The link worked for me. I LOVE your birds!

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I'd have it biopsied and find out exactly what you're dealing with.

9. hrslvrtrailridr

hrslvrtrailridr Well-Known Member

Weird, kind of reminds me of a blood blister. Is it painful for the cat? I'd hate to see his paw removed.

10. Wildfire_Jewel

It is painful from how he reacts when I touch it but he does still walk fine and puts weight on it. It bleeds off and on as well. My husband said the last growth that was removed was NOT malignant however they assured us when they removed the toe that they got all of it. For it to regrow in a new area in such a short period of time has me a bit worried. I am making an appt for him but since it really isn't an emergency we will more than likely not get in for a week of so. The vet we use is also about 45 min away. The one that is right down the road is just too expensive for us :(
    melissa