Growing winter tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Loriann1971, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Loriann1971

Loriann1971 Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone tried growing tomatoes inside to eat during the winter? How did you do it successfully? I am thinking of trying it this winter and I would love any advice anyone has to give.

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Do you have any south facing windows with full exposure?

3. Loriann1971

Loriann1971 Well-Known Member Supporter

My walk out basement has a mudroom with a huge window that faces southwest and my bricked in breezeway between the garage and the kitchen also has a large window that faces southwest.

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Did once a long time ago. Decided it waqsn't worth it. things to consider are:

1. Days are shorter in the winter so additional lighting may still be needed.
    2. Are they low E windows? If so, they will not let the full spectrum of lighting in. Additional lighting would be required.
    3. No bugs or wind so you must hand pollinate.
    4. Plants needed rotated daily or they grew lopsided from the sun coming from 1 direction only.

When I tried doing it, I used hanging pots that the tomatoes grew out of the bottom in front of a huge picture window. I was able to get them to produce, but not enough to want to try again.

5. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    But one upside I can possibly see to wintering the tomato plants is that in the spring you can harden off clippings and start the garden with more mature starts than seedlings?
    Any thoughts on this??

6. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member